Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2009, 09:31 PM
FIBOTI Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 11 Samba configuration

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answers to my questions. All the samba tutorials have been far to advanced for what I'm looking for. Here is what I want:

1) Have one folder on my Fedora11 box shared
2) Be able to drag and drop files to/from my WinXP laptop on my home network by doing start -> run then typing \\192.168.x.x

I don't have any workgroups set up on my home network, I don't want extra users. I've tried using the Samba GUI config tool that comes with Fedora 11 with no help. I followed this guide: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94257 until it started wanting me to add users. I just want to be able to watch movies (that are saved on my F11 desktop) from my WinXP laptop up in my bedroom while falling asleep.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks
Old 16th October 2009, 11:50 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_vistafirefox
scp may be easier than samba. WinSCP gives a drag-drop explorer-like gui. All you need is that your ssh server is running on fedora and the ssh port is open through the firewall.

Otherwise, with samba you will need to deal with the complexities of networking to some degree. For example, you say you don't have a workgroup on your windows machine but guess what, you do, and you'll need to configure your samba to match your windows network or nothing will ever work right.

Tags
samba