Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:16 AM
metaylor Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question Gnome Desktop stop launching

I use livecd-creator and a custom kickstart file to create an F12 liveUSB image.

About a month ago I created an image for a project then I created liveUSB tflash drives which are being used on 6 different computers.

Since I created the first image, I have make modifications to accommodate new requirements such as changing the login name, including additional packages, adding custom scripts, etc and there have been no problems.

About a 10 days ago, I received a new change request. I created an image same as before. However, with this new image the Gnome Desktop stopped launching on one of the 6 computers.

The Fedora 12 splash screen is displayed then the monitor goes blank and "no input signal" is displayed. It works fine on the other five computers. The liveUSB previously created still works on this computer, so I do not believe this a hardware issue. I provided this suspect image to my counterpart at another site with models of the same 6 computers and he had the exact same experience.

since I use the --cache=/f12-packages in the command line, I figured I would create new image but without using this parameter thinking that perhaps a particular package is causing this issue. However this did not resolve the problem.

I have no idea of where to begin. To work around this, I manually incorporated the changes I needed. However, I would really like to know what changed or what could be causing this issue.

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Old 12th May 2010, 08:33 PM
metaylor Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Gnome Desktop stop launching

I have an update to this that I hope will lead to replies to the post. When I install the USB and turn on the power, the BIOS splash screen is displayed. Additionally, the Fedora Count down screen is also displayed.

However, after the count done has completed, the screen goes dark with only the cursor displayed. After a few seconds the monitor loses synchronization and the message "No input signal" is displayed.

Also, allow me to point out that if I install F12 directly to the hard drive, I do not have this issue

So I am looking for some information to help me determine when using the LiveUSB, which of the boot up script is running at the time the message is displayed.

Tags
desktop, gnome, launching, stop