Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th October 2012, 10:19 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Kernel 3.6 for Fedora 17 has arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
This hybrid suspension (disk/RAM) is already provided by pm-suspend-hybrid. I had never tried it though, does it mean that with earlier kernels this just wouldn't have worked?
I'm not sure, I first expected that it was made the default sleep mode (and was curious about the delay that would mean) but it turned out that it still has to be enabled through a sysfs switch.
So I'm also curious what exactly has changed that it is now suddenly a new feature.

Must say 3.6 is running pretty stable; only my bumblebee'ed Nvidia isn't working any more (actually, 3.5 was the only kernel where it was able to find and use the discrete card).
But my Radeon now seems to be on steroids and it is almost possible to play d/recent games with it.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:31 AM
brenn1314 Offline

linuxchrome

I had also the similar problem as everyone here, I removed braodcom-wl and it is completely fine again.
Old 15th October 2012, 04:16 AM
mikee Offline

linuxfirefox

I have 3.6.1 on my laptop.. My lasermouse is flakey now and I don't know yet if it's a hardware issue with the mouse, or something happened with the latest upgrade.
I have a different mouse/doc at work.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:38 AM
skenda Offline

linuxchrome

I have a problem with audio. After few seconds of playing a movie, or using skype, i get a strange noise from speakers and headphones. Like distortion or interference... Sound starts to cripple and when you press pause or stop, it continues to do so for few seconds.. On older kernel versions all is ok!
Old 15th October 2012, 08:52 AM
bingoUV Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
This hybrid suspension (disk/RAM) is already provided by pm-suspend-hybrid. I had never tried it though, does it mean that with earlier kernels this just wouldn't have worked?
I have tried it on 3.4 and 3.5 kernels. It works exactly the same as pm-suspend i.e. power loss while suspended doesn't cause a "resume from hibernate" kind of behaviour. I verified that the hibernate functionality works fine otherwise.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:17 PM
dhirajhazra Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Well, the following bug has been closed as it has not been identified as a bug.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/process_bug.cgi

So, we, the broadcom people are in trouble.

Any ideas`to bring back the wireless?
Old 15th October 2012, 09:12 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

I also experiment total freezes of the laptop after upgrading the kernel and the Nvidia driver.
I'm forced to power off the machine ...
Old 17th October 2012, 09:39 AM
LinuxEM64T Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi guys,

You might want to follow the progress of this bug here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=866013

Lost all wifi capabilities after upgrading to 3.6.1 kernel. I even wiped my disk and installed a fresh version of Fedora 17 (XFCE), did not install the nvidia module, just left it on standard nouveau. Ran yum update, and that fresh installed reported the same bug again.

I tried the patched kernel the redhat guys were proposing, same bug. The latest 3.6.2-4 kernel makes no difference either.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:00 PM
Phixyn Offline

linuxfirefox

For those who were experiencing problems with broadcom/kmod-wl, there is a new patched version on rpmfusion available now. You can obtain it with yum. It works on kernel 3.6.1-1.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:40 PM
mikegreen247 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixyn View Post
For those who were experiencing problems with broadcom/kmod-wl, there is a new patched version on rpmfusion available now. You can obtain it with yum. It works on kernel 3.6.1-1.
Yes, the new kmod-wl from rpmfusion does the trick, system now working fine with the new kernel. Many thanks to all involved for the fix
Old 18th October 2012, 10:41 AM
LinuxEM64T Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxEM64T View Post
Hi guys,

You might want to follow the progress of this bug here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=866013

Lost all wifi capabilities after upgrading to 3.6.1 kernel. I even wiped my disk and installed a fresh version of Fedora 17 (XFCE), did not install the nvidia module, just left it on standard nouveau. Ran yum update, and that fresh installed reported the same bug again.

I tried the patched kernel the redhat guys were proposing, same bug. The latest 3.6.2-4 kernel makes no difference either.

Redhat said "I highly suspect that your AP is configured in a configuration that is not allowed by our NIC. Can you please change the channel of your AP to a “less problematic channel”. I understand that now your AP is configure to 9 with FAT channel high. Can you please configure it to channel 6?"

Which i did, and it solved the problem. They said there was a bug in the linux Wifi stack that led to an illegal configuration, and the firmware didn't like it much. The latest will patch fix the problem. Currently being compiled.
Old 4th November 2012, 01:34 AM
DracoLVNH Offline

macoschrome

Hello colleagues,

I am having problems with the kernel 3.6 too, in my case, there seems to be a problem with pata & acpi, therefore, the system partition is not even mounted, it hangs there... besides, nothing is written into the logs, I could just take a picture of the message at the screen, here is what it prints:

Start of the message:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31063841/DSCN0006.JPG

Continuation of the message:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31063841/DSCN0008.JPG

By the way, I have already search in google and other places but no information seems to be found, I feel I am the only one this is happening, I just saw 1 case of a guy using an old Mac.

My hardware is a MacBook from mid 2010 (may), everything was fine with kernel 3.5, I could try waiting for kernel 3.7 to see if it gets fixed. Any hints ?

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Hello again colleagues,

I have found a solution to my problem in the following link

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49151#c9

also I made (quickly) a small script doing what is said in the comment of the previous link and it works for me too, here is the script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ $UID != 0 ]; then
	echo "Run this command as root"
	exit 3
fi

if [ -z $1 ]; then
	echo "This script needs the path of the image to modify as 1st argument."
	echo -e "\nexample:\t`basename $0` /boot/initramfs-3.6.5-1.fc17.x86_64.img"
	exit 1
fi

IMG=$1