Originally Posted by SGSeries2
Just FYI for anyone that's interested. These two versions of smplayer were driving me insane trying to get them to work properly, but an older version, 0.5.21, worked fine...
I couldn't get any sound unless I specified a demuxer, and even after I specified a demuxer, ASS subtitles wouldn't display properly. (They would default to the font and color you specify in the preferences, and not how they're originally encoded.)
After looking at the logs of the one that worked and ones that didn't work, I saw slight variances. I noticed that the newer versions were trying to use an audio id of 1, but no such audio stream existed. This apparently can't be changed to 0 in the gui, so I added an additional mplayer option in the advance section:
(This would take precedence over the previous aid option smplayer put in there.)
Since then, I don't have to specify a demuxer, and ASS subtitles for some reason show up correctly. Strange, but true.
SMPlayer uses the -aid option if it already has info about the file (audio, subtitle tracks...), which happens if the file has been played before.
If for some reason that info is wrong (maybe because you updated mplayer and now it uses a different demuxer, or just simply because smplayer went crazy) there are two ways to fix it:
1) delete the file with the info about played files (~/.smplayer/smplayer_files.ini)
2) disable the option to remember the settings of files in preferences.