I have additional troubleshooting input ...
Using Okular from Gnome fails.
Using Evince from Gnome works.
Using Evince from KDE works.
Using KWrite from KDE fails.
Using KMail from KDE fails.
Using Kate from KDE fails (no surprise, it's the same as KWrite)
Using GEdit from KDE works.
Using KST from KDE works.
I added a new printer to the system, identical to the existing except it uses the PCL driver instead of PostScript. No change in results, everything either works or fails the same. Not sure I mentioned this before, but my printer is an HP 4Plus using a JetDirect. It has a PostScript option module and 12 meg of memory.
The reason I tried all this in Windows was to see if there might be something either in the documents or in the printer itself to cause the problem.
---------- Post added at 09:21 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM CST ----------
Update - I did some Googling (shoulda done that long ago!) and found that this is a well-known bug in QT. See http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-3567
for details. Any application that prints through QT will have a problem.