Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 15th June 2012, 10:56 PM
Cylinder57 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup errors? Virtualbox solutions!

Hello everyone,

Do you get some kind of error that asks you to install DKMS? When you try
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, does it fail?? Here's the solution.

If you have Virtualbox, first, please remove it. (I'm not sure if this is necessary, but just to make sure this solution works, please remove virtualbox.)

yum remove VirtualBox-4.1

Note that the command might be "yum remove Virtualbox-4.0" instead, depending on your version of virtualbox. (e.g. when your version of Virtualbox is 4.0.16.) Note that the latest version of Virtualbox is 4.1.16, so people with this latest version will use "yum remove VirtualBox-4.1"

Then, From:
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-red-hat-rhel/

Change to root user with su or sudo, obviously.

Install fedora Repo files:

cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...irtualbox.repo

Update packages:

yum update

Check for latest kernel version.

rpm -qa kernel |sort |tail -n 1

uname -r

Output from these two commands should match. If not, reboot the computer.

(The following information is not from that website.)

After that, type these commands (to install what is necessary: )

yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers xinetd
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

(The following information is from that website.)

Then reinstall virtualbox.

yum install Virtualbox-4.1

Rebuild kernel modules:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Then add Virtualbox users to vbox group:

usermod -a -G vboxusers user_name

Replace user_name with any user name, such as your own.

Then, just run virtualbox again.

Last edited by Cylinder57; 15th June 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: I don't want to have to rely on a website for instructions
Old 5th February 2014, 05:15 AM
MasterStargazer Offline

linuxchrome
Re: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup errors? Virtualbox solutions!

i did everything listed and everything went smoothly UNTIL the reinstall step. when i entered the text specified i got a "no package available" reply. installed it from the website as the actual virtualbox appliocation itself does not show on my yum extender, and then ran /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup and was told it failed and read the log. the log said to run an "oldconfig" command string to fix it. i did so and was told the architecture was invalid. im using fedora 20 and latest VBox is 4.3.6 so any help getting this running would be greatly appreciated. i need to get a working virtualbox going so i can use windows in addition to my fedora as pepakura designer doesnt work on linux and doesnt run very well at all in WINE and i need this program for my prop and costume replica hobby.

Last edited by MasterStargazer; 5th February 2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
dkms, error, errors, setup, solutions, vboxdrv, virtualbox