Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th September 2012, 01:01 AM
Zebee Offline

linuxfirefox
mount DFS share - permission denied or can't find share

I am trying to mount a DFS share on a Fedora 16 box.

I have tried the request-key solution in http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=249327 but it has made no difference.

If I use the location given to me by the share admin which is a domain then I get this:

[root@paddy ~]# mount --verbose -t cifs -o credentials=/home/zebee/company/credentials,dom=OCAUS01 //company.com.au/oms/home01/Zebee.Johnstone /mnt

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=10.42.122.17,unc=\\company.com.au\oms,user=Zebe e Johnstone,,domain=OCAUS01,prefixpath=home01/Zebee.Johnstone,pass=********
Retrying with upper case share name
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=10.42.122.17,unc=\\OPTUS.COM.AU\OMS,user=Zebee Johnstone,,domain=OCAUS01,prefixpath=HOME01/ZEBEE.JOHNSTONE,pass=********
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

If I use a servername (again given by the share admin, it's one of the servers involved) I get this:

[root@paddy ~]# mount --verbose -t cifs -o credentials=/home/zebee/company/credentials,dom=OCAUS01 //infprdfilwdfs/home01/Zebee.Johnstone /mnt

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=10.8.194.105,unc=\\infprdfilwdfs\home01,user=Ze bee Johnstone,,domain=OCAUS01,prefixpath=Zebee.Johnsto ne,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

NOTE: for some reason the post is putting extraneous spaces in the username in the verbose reply section. This is not present on paddy nor is it present in the text I pasted, it is some weird thing the forum software is doing..

However... If I try on a windows box (same username password) all is OK. But if I try to mount home01 then I get the permission denied error. Is the problem that the linux box is trying to mount or read each part of the share path in turn? iF so is there a workaround that doesn't mean changing permissions on the share as the admins have vetoed that?

Why is the first method returning no such device when it can find an IP?

The same credentials file worked before we moved to DFS, is the space in the username causing problems?

The credentials file is
username=Zebee Johnstone
password=xxxxxxxx
Old 16th September 2012, 01:09 AM
gurutech Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: mount DFS share - permission denied or can't find share

Have you tried putting the username in quotes? Or also try replacing the space with \040
Old 16th September 2012, 01:22 AM
Zebee Offline

linuxfirefox

The space was why I use a credentials file.

If I use quotes in the credentials file or \040 or the name with those on the command lineI get the same error.

this is what I get in /var/log/messages with quotes or \040
Sep 16 10:15:41 paddy kernel: [1708707.986583] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Sep 16 10:15:41 paddy kernel: [1708707.986593] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Sep 16 10:15:41 paddy kernel: [1708707.986774] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

Here's /var/log/messages using the credentials file with space in the username (that worked before we moved to dfs)
Sep 16 10:19:10 paddy kernel: [1708917.520347] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed

(Sorry, that should have been in the original post.)

This is why I suspect it is about not having permission to
unc=\\infprdfilwdfs\home01

If that is the problem, what can I do? Should this be reported as a bug somewhere? IF so where?
Old 16th September 2012, 03:44 AM
gurutech Offline

windows_7firefox

Didn't see this before, but are you sure you are mounting in the correct location? I'm not familiar with mounting a volume outside of /etc/fstab, but I would guess trying to mount directly to /mnt could be the problem. I would suggest creating a folder under /mnt, and mount to that folder instead.
Old 16th September 2012, 10:08 PM
Zebee Offline

linuxchrome

I would be very surprised indeed if /mnt was somehow special. It's just a mount point.

mounting it elsewhere including a point under /mnt made no difference.
Old 28th November 2012, 05:18 PM
Krowikaw Offline

macoschrome

Ever find a solution? I get the same errors, would be very helpful to mount DFS shares.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:26 PM
Zebee Offline

linuxchrome

Nope. The only solution appears to be you have to have permissions to each part of the share path. They were not willing to give me that so I couldn't mount the share.

I think it has been reported as a bug but last I looked there was no fix.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:34 PM
Krowikaw Offline

macoschrome

Thanks. If anyone comes up with a solution, definitely interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
Nope. The only solution appears to be you have to have permissions to each part of the share path. They were not willing to give me that so I couldn't mount the share.

I think it has been reported as a bug but last I looked there was no fix.

Tags
cifs, denied, dfs, mount, permission, share