Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th August 2012, 07:12 PM
Pat McClung Offline

linuxfirefox
Grub 2 with Fedora 17

Hi folks,

I have done a clean install of Fedora 17 on an ancient 32-bit machine. (Believe me, no normal human willl be able to do this). During installation I instructed Anaconda to install the boot loader on the first block of the /boot partition, instead of the mbr, which it did.

But, the second stage of the MBR is still pointing at the old Grub .97 connfiguration of another Fedora installation on another disk, so I can't reach Fedora 17 on a normal boot of sda.
Fortuntely the Grub 2 rescue disk (thank you, guys) locates the Grub 2 installation on the /boot partition -sda7- of the F 17 installation, and so, I can boot it. I can also get to my ancient Win2K installation from the new Grub2 window

How do I get the MBR (same disk) to point at the Grub2 installation on the F17 /boot partition (sda7)?

Thanks for the help.

Pat McClung
<mcclung@computer.org>
Old 28th August 2012, 11:10 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Grub 2 with Fedora 17

I would try editing the grub.conf file of the old system to add a new section at the end of it for the new Fedora 17 system. If Fedora 17's GRUB really did get installed in the first sector of the boot partition, then a simple chainloader entry should boot it. I boot Fedora 17 that way. Example...
Code:
title Fedora 17
chainloader (hdx,y)+1
You change x & y to what they need to be (the drive & partition of the Fedora 17 boot partition).
Old 29th August 2012, 02:05 PM
Pat McClung Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Grub 2 with Fedora 17

Stoat,

Thank you for a very elegant solution.

Works perfectly!

Pat

Tags
fedora, fedora17, grub, grub2