Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th October 2009, 03:38 PM
77yrold Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
Unique image download I think

I have a friend same age group (OLD) that has Fedora and I am really interested.
The unique I indicated in subject may only be my ineptitude and or comprehension challenges. Be assured I want Fedora on both of my units. The how presents the problem.

1. This notebook I am sending this from is 32 bit but has DVD capability
2. The other unit my desktop has no DVD capability but is AMD 64

My question and I am willing do do ALMOST anything to resolve the concern is how to (the step by step process) to download the image for both units and the torrent mirror.

PS; that last is confusing to me I download the seed file which obviously puts me in a position to download a more secure image, but I fail always to find the mirror where the images are located.

I thank you in advance as I know I am asking for a great deal. My hope is someone in the community is retired like myself but is more adept in Linux and Fedora then myself.
Old 16th October 2009, 03:54 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
The notebook will require a 32-bit OS. The desktop machine can run either 32-bit or 64-bit, but a 32-bit OS may be better because it will be smaller and consume less RAM and HDD space (and by having two 32-bit OSs, you will be less confused and easier to switch working between machines). So you could minimize the amount of downloading by using same 32-bit ISO image for both. Since desktop has no DVD drive (are we to assume that it DOES have a CD drive ? I assume so...), you could reduce downloading to 32-bit CD(s), just one if you get the Live CD and you can pile on extra goodies later if you want.

You can download the CD ISO directly without goofing with torrents. Here's the direct link to the Live CD ISO:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pu...-i686-Live.iso

The Live CD ISO has a desktop "INSTALL ME!" launcher.

HTH,
V
Old 16th October 2009, 04:14 PM
77yrold Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
unique image download

What an expedient response and am presently downloading from your suggested site, will burn and be enjoying the community soon I hope
Again thank you
Old 16th October 2009, 06:54 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
I forgot to mention: the Live CD ISO installer presents a simplified routine that offers less choices (e.g.: disk partitioning) than the regular ISOs. If you're OK with this, then proceed. If you need more advanced installation options, or more info, ask.

V
Old 16th October 2009, 07:14 PM
77yrold Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Unique image download I think

I was about to e-mail as I encountered an error when attempting to burn the CD in k3b. Reason I mentioned the Torrent process as I understood there is moreassurance of clean burn. This is not new for me as it happens far too often. Its why I have stayed with debian and ubuntu as for whatever reason I get a clean burn.
Any suggestions appreciated as I said I do want Fedora
Old 16th October 2009, 07:26 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Here's the instructions on how to verify the integrity of the downloaded ISO: http://fedoraproject.org/en/verify

You got: Live Media i386 (I hope !)

If that checks out, then there must be a problem with either k3b and/or the physical media (blank CDs).

V
Old 16th October 2009, 09:27 PM
77yrold Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
HTH
You have been extremely patient and I am reluctant to carry on what for most is a very basic procedure. Each OS I have tried has been a true test of myself and the forum members attempting to help. The MD5 thing has failed me more times then I care to admit simply because I just do not know or understand the how and when.
Debian and Ubuntu have been as I stated my only OS that loaded with perfection so I guess I will just have to stay there until I figure out how to solve this mental block. Hey at 77 I better get it done soon
Thanks again for your interest and help

Tags
download, image, unique