Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2013, 06:48 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: Pre-installed Windows 8 dual-boot Fedora 18 not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydice View Post
stay persistent and eventually your customer service rep will cave and just send it to you.
Haha, perfect. Glad it worked out.

It might be worth trying a different brand USB flash drive to see if UEFI mode boot will recognize it. I have one Mac (EFI) that hates Kingston flash drives, but loves Lexar ones. And the other Mac doesn't care, it loves them both.

Peculiar that UEFI mode would not support USB though, and legacy (CSM-BIOS) would. Because that CSM is just an EFI application, so it has to get the USB support ultimately from UEFI. On both of my Macs, the CSM-BIOS mode does not support USB.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:43 PM
nzpling Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Pre-installed Windows 8 dual-boot Fedora 18 not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydice View Post
so I had to change it to legacy mode
I think if you change it back to UEFI your machine may boot from the recovery disk you made.

I am having similar problems on my son's Thinkpad
I DID resize windows partition before I installed F18. I used gparted

Son has been happy in Linux for a few weeks, then needed to boot to Windows for school work. Error that BCD corrupt/missing! (I am sure I tested it immediately after installing F18 and it was OK)

I have tried remedies to recreate the BCD with windows recovery tools (bootrec /rebuildbcd) after booting to recovery disk. No OS found
One thread mentioned marking the right partition as active, but I'm unsure which windows partitions need to be active/boot

Any help appreciated

Tags
dualboot, fedora, fedora 18, preinstalled, windows, windows 8, working