Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st October 2009, 06:34 PM
Assim Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Phone connected to computer through USB

I can't modify/delete the files on my phones through my computer which is connected to my phone through a USB wire. I can view the files in there, but not edit them or make any modifications. During the time I used Ubuntu, it worked pretty well, any ideas why it doesn't work.

I use Fedora 11 KDE in case you wanted to help me solve this problem. I also have a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic if this is going to help too.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:54 PM
Deonis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sounds like you do not have write permission to your phone. chmod 755 /media/yourphone/
Old 25th October 2009, 03:54 PM
Assim Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I know how that is done through an FTP client, but could you please give me more details on how to actually chmod that directory.

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:33 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assim View Post
I know how that is done through an FTP client, but could you please give me more details on how to actually chmod that directory.

Thanks.
Deonis gave you the exact command to do it with

however, it is a little confusing if you know nothing about linux.

when you plug in your phone, it will be mounted in /media (if you have everything still set as the fedora defaults)

it will give the drive on your phone a name. I will use phonename in this example. so, the drive on your phone will be mounted at /media/phonename

you may need root access.

open a terminal window.

su -
(root password)

chmod 755 /media/phonename
Old 26th October 2009, 06:24 AM
Assim Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thanks, now better. I didn't know it was a terminal command, anyway, it's fine now.

Thanks guys.

Tags
connected, phone, usb