My system specs:
MSI MS-6380 LE Motherboard
AMD Athlon T-bird 1.2Ghz CPU
512MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce2 MX AGP video card w/ 64MB RAM
Aureal Semiconductor AU8810 Vortex Digital Sound Card
20GB WD IDE HD (My System Drive)
60GB IBM IDE HD (My "data" disk)
Samsung 52X CD-ROM (this was swapped with...)
MSI 52x32x52x CD-RW
No floppy drive

Over the weekend, I decided to swap the CD-RW that was in my windows box with my CD-ROM in my linux box. I thought the process would be pretty straight-forward as both drives were the secondary-masters. Boy was I wrong!!!

As soon as the switch was made, the BIOS on my linux box failed to recognized my HDs! Thinking that I may have been mistaken in the jumper settings, I rechecked those. Still not recognized. I tried setting all the jumpers to "cable-select" with still no luck. Same thing with switching cables.

A few times after a LONG wait my drives would be recognized and linux would boot, but it would lock up shortly thereafter.

Finallly, late last night, as a last resort I switched drives back and everything WORKED!

I can't understand what the problem was. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a little concerned as I was planning on purchasing a DVD-RW for the linux box in the near future.

Kent.

EDIT: I know this isn't a linux problem, but I was hoping someone whould have some ideas.
Registered Linux User #310945
"This message brought to you with 100% recycled electrons. Just the latest in environmentally friendly technology!"
Old 12th April 2005, 05:25 AM
BAshworth Offline

Did your BIOS recognize the burners? If so, what did it recognize them as (master/slave, which IDE channel) Depending on your BIOS, you might have had to reset the configuration data, or done a hard reset on the BIOS to get it to detect properly.
Old 14th April 2005, 01:34 AM
k5knt Offline

I can't remember what the BIOS listed the burners as. I've been dealing with a similar issue again, and I think one of my Hard Drives is starting to fail. Since I've removed it, my system performance has improved.

I will most likely just wait and build another dedicated linux box with the DVD-RW drive, but that will be a few months down the road.

Thanks for the help.
Registered Linux User #310945
"This message brought to you with 100% recycled electrons. Just the latest in environmentally friendly technology!"

Tags
bios, cdrw, detected, hds, install