Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st February 2016, 11:44 PM
jimbean Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Install on HP ProBook

I am trying to install F23 on an HP probook 4530s. This is a refurbished unit with windows 7 on it.
I don't intend to dual boot, just plain Linux.
It looks like the secure boot problem as the CD-rom is accessed and then ignored.
There are turning off instructions for windows 8 on the forum but not windows 7.
I have scrounged around the boot menus but can't find the place to turn it off.
Any help appreciated.
cheers Jim Bean
Old 1st February 2016, 11:56 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: Install on HP ProBook

Secure Boot is implemented in computers with UEFI firmware. Non UEFI computers, such as your older HP probook 4530s, do not have Secure Boot. So it sounds to me like the CD-rom issue is not Secure Boot related. Have you tried booting that CD on another machine?
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:07 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
CD-rom is accessed and then ignored.
Perhaps check the BIOS to make sure cdrom is set as the first boot device.
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:44 AM
jimbean Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Secure Boot is implemented in computers with UEFI firmware. Non UEFI computers, such as your older HP probook 4530s, do not have Secure Boot. So it sounds to me like the CD-rom issue is not Secure Boot related. Have you tried booting that CD on another machine?
Thanks for the replies. The BIOS menu mentions UEFI which was a surprise.
I checked the HP downloads for a BIOS download and the latest is dated 2010 but the one installed
is dated 2013. Perhaps the referbisher upgraded the BIOS.
Is it possible to fix this by installing an older BIOS? Sounds risky.

The boot order is definitely CD first.
regards Jim
Old 3rd February 2016, 01:41 AM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
The BIOS menu mentions UEFI which was a surprise.
I'm somewhat surprised by that, but not entirely. If there is nothing in that BIOS about Secure Boot, there is no Secure boot. The computer I am responding from at present (Desktop PC with an Asrock P67 Pro3 motherboard) touts a "UEFI" Bios, which allows traversing the bios in a graphical environment using the mouse, but does not actually have a UEFI firmware implementation. There is no UEFI mode to switch into or out of. So I suspect your HP is similar.

Secure Boot didn't come along until Windows8 (released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012), so motherboards that predate the release of W8 by any appreciable amount of time won't have Secure Boot, and probably not a full fledged implementation of UEFI firmware either.

Once again, have you tried booting that CD on another computer? That would go a long way in determining if the problem was the CD itself, and not the HP laptop.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:19 PM
jimbean Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
IOnce again, have you tried booting that CD on another computer?
The CD is the same one that installed what I am using right now. F23
Do you have an opinion on going back to the BIOS currently available from HP?
Old 4th February 2016, 12:29 AM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

I doubt flashing an earlier version of the BIOS would do any good. Is the install from that CD/DVD that you are using "right now" installed on a newer machine? And if so, is it installed in Legacy BIOS mode or UEFI mode?

The Fedora install media iso's are created so that they are compatible with systems running in either Legacy MBR mode or in UEFI mode. On a system booting that install media (either USB stick or CD/DVD) that is booted in UEFI mode, the media will appear twice in the UEFI's device boot menu, once for non-UEFI and once for UEFI. I think the first of the two entries is always for non-UEFI, so if your HP Probook is truly non-UEFI it would automatically attempt to boot the first entry.

Secure boot also does nothing to prevent a storage device from booting. What it does, when enabled, is to prevent an unsigned OS, kernel or kernel module from loading into the system. Since you've successfully installed from that CD/DVD media on another machine, that should eliminate the media itself as the culprit, but not the CD/DVD device itself unless you have already used the CD/DVD device to successfully boot other bootable media and/or access data CD/DVD's without problem.

Wish I could offer some more definitive advice, but I can't think of anything more to try. Except to perhaps create a USB stick with the install media on it and try from that. The command line dd method gives the best results for that to transfer the iso image to the USB stick. If you have one laying around you can spare, give that a try. All data on the USB stick will be vaporized in the process.
Code:
# dd if=<downloaded_install_iso_file> of=/dev/sd<x> bs=8M
Where <x> is the usb device (unmounted). "if" is input file, "of" is output file, or device.

Tags
install, probook