Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th November 2007, 08:36 PM
tashirosgt Offline

Uses for empty Cd blank containers?

What are some good uses for the empty containers for stacks of Cd blanks?

It seems a shame to throw away such so much plastic. I don't like to store backed up Cds in these containers since it is difficult to sort through them. The clear tops are about the right side to hold a coffee machine filter. It is hard to drill holes in the top (which becomes the bottom in a filter set-up) without cracking the the plastic, but it you can do this it can be part of an apparatus to filter fluids such as cooking oil.

However, I haven't figured out any uses for the stem that holds the blank Cds or the clear plastic blank that is included.
Old 19th November 2007, 09:05 PM
stevea

I'll admit I don't quite understand your coffee filter apparatus, but you do NOT want to run hot fluids over non-food grade plastic and then drink the liquid. The plasticers leach out and many are low-grade carcinogens. Very un-smart.
Old 19th November 2007, 09:26 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

I screw the black bases to the underside of the shelves in the garage and put lighter weight screws, wirenuts, wood furniture plugs, etc. in them.

Dan
Old 19th November 2007, 09:28 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

ah, fill them with dirt and build a house...er...earthship thingy...like some kind of freaky green retro-hippie. Then when the global warming strikes you will be all set!

Or, just throw them away. What was that George Carlin said, first there was the earth, now we have earth + plastic...Now, if I could find a use for those two liter coke bottles...
Old 19th November 2007, 09:35 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Now, if I could find a use for those two liter coke bottles...
Rinse, fill with sterile water and store in cool dry location out of direct sunlight. I try to keep about 20 or so filled and stored at any given time.

Reflex action I guess. Too many years in rural New Mexico where power to well pumps can be somewhat unreliable.

Dan
Old 19th November 2007, 09:39 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Rinse, fill with sterile water and store in cool dry location out of direct sunlight. I try to keep about 20 or so filled and stored at any given time.

Reflex action I guess. Too many years in rural New Mexico where power to well pumps can be somewhat unreliable.

Dan
Yeah, you arent kidding. Dont forget I am in hurricane central. We keep 4 or so cases of bottled water (6; 1 gal jugs per) stored away and replace them once a year. I am a coke (cola ) addict though, going through a 2 liter a day. My one bad habit...
Old 19th November 2007, 09:44 PM
tashirosgt Offline

I like the idea of screwing the bases upside down to a shelf. But I find that there are a ridiculous number of different designs for how the tops mate with the bases. So keeping each top matched with each base is harder than it ought to be.

As to my filtering, I only filter cold fluid, most of which come in plastic bottles anyway.
Old 19th November 2007, 09:48 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4
Yeah, you arent kidding. Dont forget I am in hurricane central. We keep 4 or so cases of bottled water (6; 1 gal jugs per) stored away and replace them once a year. I am a coke (cola ) addict though, going through a 2 liter a day. My one bad habit...
Ayup. You're living in "Lightning Central" too. And the very best lightning rod I know of ...

is a critical wellhead on a Saturdy afternoon. <....>

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashirosgt
I like the idea of screwing the bases upside down to a shelf. But I find that there are a ridiculous number of different designs for how the tops mate with the bases. So keeping each top matched with each base is harder than it ought to be. ...
True, but it's easier here than it seems. My high-dollar burner is a "Coaster-Matic" if I don't feed it the good stuff. So most of me blanks all come from the same manufacturer.

Dan

Last edited by Dan; 19th November 2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 20th November 2007, 03:11 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

What about a donut holder? A device to store donuts next to the coffee machine could prove itself handy, and the donuts would be protected against insects as well.

The only problem is that you can only employ few containers for this task.

Thanks.
Joe.
Windows 7 Professional, Fedora 22 x86_64
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:25 AM

why don't you recycle them if you have no use, as apposed to throwing them out with your litter. Actually you probably already do, and thats good.

wait. where do the cd's you burn end up?
Old 28th November 2007, 03:56 PM
martypants Offline

i used my old cases to sift seeds from my weed. Just tilt it up a bit and let the seeds roll down.
Old 28th November 2007, 07:06 PM
sej7278 Offline

doughnut holder sounds good, although i personally like to burn them i the street to annoy the tree-huggers
Old 28th November 2007, 07:11 PM
goldenbrown Offline

Me? I like to do anything that pisses off everyone who doesn't agree with my fixed ideas on how we should run our lives...
then I tell everyone about it on a computer forum
Nigel