Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2012, 04:37 PM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox
2nd Monitor not detected (Dell Xps 15 / HDMI)

I'm trying to connect my notebook to an external monitor. However, the monitor is not connected. My notebook is a Dell Xps 15 and the screen is connected via HDMI (DVI on the screen and HDMI on the notebook).

I also tried disper -l and it just lists the notebook's screen.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

If that helps: system has dual graphics cards, and no nvidia driver has been installed.
Old 10th October 2012, 09:12 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: 2nd Monitor not detected (Dell Xps 15 / HDMI)

Hi,

I have the XPS 17 with Nvidia graphics card, On mine the intel card has access to the DisplayPort and NVidia has access to the HDMI port. As such I cannot use the HDMI port under linux, I have to use the DisplayPort for a second monitor.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:54 PM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunaic View Post
Hi,

I have the XPS 17 with Nvidia graphics card, On mine the intel card has access to the DisplayPort and NVidia has access to the HDMI port. As such I cannot use the HDMI port under linux, I have to use the DisplayPort for a second monitor.
Probably it's the same for me then. Is there no way to use the NVidia's access to the HDMI port for a 2nd monitor? What about bumblebee?
Old 11th October 2012, 09:10 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon2010 View Post
Probably it's the same for me then. Is there no way to use the NVidia's access to the HDMI port for a 2nd monitor? What about bumblebee?
I never had the patients to try bumblebee. My Monitor has a DisplayPort connection so I use that, it does all that I need. Sorry I cannot be of further help.
Old 11th October 2012, 04:12 PM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunaic View Post
I never had the patients to try bumblebee. My Monitor has a DisplayPort connection so I use that, it does all that I need. Sorry I cannot be of further help.
Thanks anyway!

I made a reinstall and I'm now trying to set it up with Bumblebee. Maybe it'll work ...
Old 12th October 2012, 09:15 AM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried bumblebee and blacklisting the intel driver but that resulted in a not starting Fedora again.

Is there any way to safely deactivate the intel graphics and only use the nvidia card? I don't need two screens - one large one is sufficient.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:28 PM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok, so now I've got bumblebee working with nouveau and if I optirun an application, its content is also displayed on the external monitor. But the external monitor cannot be used for anything else it seems ...
Old 28th October 2012, 09:57 PM
patrickian Offline

linuxfirefox

I am running F17 on a dell XPS 17 machine connected to a second monitor using the HDMI cable. The second monitor is not seen at all. It was recommended to go on the nvidia website and try installing their driver. I haven't done that as yet but I have tried installing both the kmod-nvidia and then akmod-nvidia. Both these prevented my computer from rebooting into graphical mode, and this I removed them.
If I find a solution I will report back.
Thank you
Old 19th November 2012, 06:10 PM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickian View Post
I haven't done that as yet but I have tried installing both the kmod-nvidia and then akmod-nvidia. Both these prevented my computer from rebooting into graphical mode, and this I removed them.
Yes, I've tried installing these as well and got the same result.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:40 AM
Allanon2010 Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok here's the hardware based solution: Mini-Display Port to DVI Adapter. Actually, it's the same one Adunaic proposed. Now running Fedora in 1900x1200.
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:28 AM
patrickian Offline

linuxfirefox

Just an update. I've installed fedora 18 twice now. I go to system-settings -> Display.
This is the odd part, I can see the second monitor, however, when I turn it on the machine freezes (?kernal panic?).
I am forced to hard-reboot the computer. Now, the second monitor is not present in Display... (I've tried all permutations of shuting down computer whilst monitor is on/off etc.).
I reinstalled fedora 18 to the same machine and the exact same freeze occurred when trying to turn on the external monitor.
The second monitor is no longer visible in system-settings -> Display.
(Does anyone know how to see system messages that may have captured logs on the freeze?)

Tags
2nd, dell, detected, hdmi, monitor, xps