Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th November 2012, 09:07 PM
ThumbTack Offline

linuxchrome
Thumbs down scan, HP, 100 dpi, pdf, wrong

Running Fedora16 x86 on a laptop; have an HP M1212nf MFP (multifunction printer) on the network. Connect to the printer via the wireless network; printer is connected to the wireless router via an ethernet cable. Router has the firewall disabled. The laptop firewall has been configured to allow for mdsn and network printing; eth+ and wlan+ are trusted networks. I can print things without any problem.

I am scanning a three page document. I can scan to a pdf file using hp-scan with the --adf option (uses the automatic document feeder) and the default 300 dpi resolution. The resulting pdf file is fine (the conversion to a pdf file from the default png files that are produced, is done with a python routine in the hp-scan script). But if I set the resolution desired to 100 dpi, the first page of a three page document comes out fine, but the second and following pages come out with 35 mm or so at the top of each page missing.

Using xsane to produce a pdf document with 100 dpi as the requested resolution, ALL the pages come out with the top missing.

Using xsane or hp-scan with 100 dpi resolution to produce jpg or png files, one for each page of course, the images are complete.

If I use gimp to produce a postscript (.ps) file from a 100 dpi .png file, the resulting postscript file has the whole image. But if I then use ps2pdf (ghostscript) to produce a pdf file from the postscript file, the resulting image is completely messed up (I don't know how else to describe it). Was unable to find any setting that would change the output to something recognizable, but that may be my ignorance about the way in which one should set the options.

Just for the record:

gs 9.05
libsane-hpaio.i686 3.12.9-6.fc16
python-imaging-sane.i686 1.1.7-4.fc16
sane-backends.i686 1.0.23-4.fc16
sane-backends-devel.i686 1.0.23-4.fc16
sane-backends-drivers-cameras.i686
sane-backends-drivers-scanners.i686
sane-backends-libs.i686 1.0.23-4.fc16
xsane.i686 0.998-12.fc16
xsane-common.i686 0.998-12.fc16
hpijs.i686 1:3.12.9-6.fc16
hplip-common.i686 3.12.9-6.fc16
hplip-libs.i686 3.12.9-6.fc16
libsane-hpaio.i686 3.12.9-6.fc16

If you run hp-check, there are no problems shown. The HP printer installation was done with the downloaded hplip-3.12.10a.run script. I was not able to use the Add/Remove Progams hplip entry successfully. As noted above, the printer works flawlessly.

Running a scan at 100 dpi using my wife's machine running Windows XP (the scan software is HP software written for MS Windows), and asking for a pdf document, the resulting pdf file looks fine.

Apparently, there is something peculiar happening when a scan at 100 dpi is being requested by the Linux software, because the Windows HP scanning software is able to do the job properly.

Any ideas as to what is causing this behavior, and how to fix it?

Last edited by ThumbTack; 18th November 2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: updating description of problem

Tags
ghostscript, missing, page, pdf, xsane