Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:53 PM
Nikhil Parmar Offline

linuxfirefox
Is fedora more advanced than ubuntu.

hello everybody,
i know i may sound funny asking this question, But i want to know the answer.
I m comp engg student. One of my professor is a die-hard fedora user and i have been using ubuntu since 2 yrs.
Inspired by my professor's linux knowledge, i asked him whats the differnce between Ubuntu and fedora.
His answer was that they are mostly SAME but still he will always stick with fedora. Some say fedora is more advanced than ubuntu.

Pls rep, i want to learn linux in depth so help me choose a proper distro as i m just a 2 yr novice linux user but familiar with the linux stuff.

Any difference between ubuntu and fedora is welcomed.

Thank you.
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:59 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: Is fedora more advanced than ubuntu.

Advanced as in difficult to use? Their default installations are fairly similar. Their package management is different, both are good. Fedora may sometimes be harder to get working than Ubuntu, but the opposite may also be true.

Fedora may have more current packages, and what you will see is that Fedora will more or less hammer something into shape--that is, put it into production so that its users, who understand that it is often a development/test platform, will aid in getting it REALLY production ready, and then, Ubuntu, which aims to make easy to use Linux, will then use it. This doesn't mean one way is good and the other bad, just that they have somewhat different objectives.

Either one can be completely customized, using minimal installations, non-default packages, and so on. Default out of box experience, in theory, should be pretty much equal in degree of knowledge required to get it working.
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:08 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Which one is more advanced? Hmmm. Let's see. What day is today, and how "ripe" are the latest releases of each?

Seriously, if you're going to even attempt to answer that question, the first thing you need to do is more accurately define your terms and conditions. If by "advanced" you mean more experimental and bleeding edge, fedora gets the nod here -- depending on how deep into any given release cycle you are at the time of measurement, and which of the distros in question was the last released. If your criteria is resistance to casual/accidental update breakage ... fedora? Not so much.

Ubuntu is based on Debian's package management system, whereas fedora is RPM based. After those differences are accounted for, the rest is pretty much cosmetic.

For me, perhaps the biggest difference is the fact that fedora has always been the "blue" distro, whereas Ubuntu was once ... "brown". And I just don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive that. LinuxMINT, on the other hand, which is almost entirely based on Ubuntu ... save being "green", is perfectly acceptable.

<....>
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:48 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxchrome

As i understand those 2 distro's philosophies, i'd declare it like:

Fedora is 'purer' linux than ubuntu, due to its FOSS philosophy.
Fedora is a (as i understand it) developer distro, as it provides the newest packages, but also more issues to to dependency issues that are caused to those new packages.

For the standard user (install, surf, write) ubuntu might be a better choice for newcomers to linux.
Fedora just brings more tools and options to customize your linux experience.
By that i mean, i havent found a minimal installation option with Ubuntu's installer.

This said, you'll always have much of the bloat that comes with ubuntu.
But with fedora you can easy get rid of it.

my 2 cents
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:49 PM
xjonquilx Offline

linuxchrome

Fedora doesn't babysit you like Ubuntu does. It expects you to know exactly what you're doing on a Linux system. If that's what you mean by "advanced" then Fedora takes the cake.

I think Fedora is a good small step up from Ubuntu. Proprietary codecs/drivers take a little work (unlike Ubuntu), the package manager expects you to know what you're doing, and you get root access by default. Yet installation is just about as easy as Ubuntu's installation, which is why I say it's only a "small" step up.

If you really want to learn about Linux from the ground up (without it being *too* hard too accomplish for someone new to Linux), I would recommend Arch. Just make sure you have another computer available so you can look up tutorials on how to get everything up and running.
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:53 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjonquilx View Post
Fedora doesn't babysit you like Ubuntu does. It expects you to know exactly what you're doing on a Linux system. If that's what you mean by "advanced" then Fedora takes the cake.
Thats not true anymore - Fedora has now hidden much of its configuration details behind various GUI applications that are becoming mandatory if you are going to use the features (firewall, networking, services, ...)

If you don't have GUI access, you can't configure them.
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:53 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil parmar View Post
i want to know the answer
Code:
#     #  #######   #####
 #   #   #        #     #
  # #    #        #
   #     #####     #####
   #     #              #
   #     #        #     #
   #     #######   #####
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:58 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

short answer:
YES, Fedora is advanced than ubuntu.

Reasons:
1. Packages are usually newer versions in fedora than ubuntu.
2. New technology is introduced first in Fedora. eg SystemD, /usr move etc.

But ubuntu PPAs of every app is available in latest version, but one doesn't always use that.

So in a default setup fedora wins.

edit:
Damn, too slow, rupert beat me ...
Old 2nd June 2012, 05:24 PM
Nikhil Parmar Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank You all for the wonderful explanation. So finally i conclude that i will work on fedora for learning new stuff since i belong to comp. engg and will keep ubuntu for fun.

And one more thing. I just love the name FEDORA.
Thank U.
Old 2nd June 2012, 05:44 PM
kurt m Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Parmar View Post
hello everybody,
i know i may sound funny asking this question, But i want to know the answer.
I m comp engg student. One of my professor is a die-hard fedora user and i have been using ubuntu since 2 yrs.
Inspired by my professor's linux knowledge, i asked him whats the differnce between Ubuntu and fedora.
His answer was that they are mostly SAME but still he will always stick with fedora. Some say fedora is more advanced than ubuntu.

Pls rep, i want to learn linux in depth so help me choose a proper distro as i m just a 2 yr novice linux user but familiar with the linux stuff.

Any difference between ubuntu and fedora is welcomed.

Thank you.
Maybe once upon a time. Ever since Gnome 3 arrived though, it's steadfastly been moving backwards. The whole nonsense invoving UEFI is just the latest example of the basic stupidity that gripped the project.
Old 2nd June 2012, 05:49 PM
lsatenstein Offline

windows_7firefox

The question of advanced is not answerable as of the existing current distributions dated June 1, 2012. Both Fedora and Ubuntu are great distributions, but targeting different users. For example, UBUNTU is going after the users who are leaving Windows XP for something better, where all codecs are included, and you don't have to search for the codecs yourself. (Not a legal problem for a distribution from Africa where Africa does not recognize some American patents). Fedora, being American based, does not provide codecs that are not free. Fedora is perhaps geared more towards the developer or the person more interested in learning Linux well. One can say that UBUNTU is targeting former Microsoft users, Fedora is targeting those users and others (computer science oriented users) as well.

The real answer to your question is easy. If your very first distribution was Fedora, you will take the time to learn it well, and you will be a faithful follower. You will say it is most advanced.

If your very first distribution was UBUNTU, you will take the time to learn it well and you will be a faithful follower. You will say it is most advanced.

Some of us have both UBUNTU and Fedora installed on our Desktops, and we alternate between them.

Leslie
in Montreal
Old 2nd June 2012, 06:21 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt m View Post
Maybe once upon a time. Ever since Gnome 3 arrived though, it's steadfastly been moving backwards. The whole nonsense invoving UEFI is just the latest example of the basic stupidity that gripped the project.
I was just checking some facts before replying. I won't post the Linus Thorvald quote here. ^^

Quote:
He stated that this was brought on because GNOME's developers had "become personally enthralled with Apple Macs."
I've been working with Ubuntu 12 with Gnome 3 Unity yesterday and Fedora 17 KDE today, and that's exactly the impression I got.

Gnome 3 is for people who want the finished product right out of the box, no questions asked. Which is not neccessarily a bad thing. I guess for 90% of all people, that's what they want and what they need!
If you make an open source OS through guerilla programming, you have to accept that some day someone will use that to make a mainstream product for the masses.

But noticing a tiny but important missing feature in Ubuntu and finding that people have been demanding it's return for the last six years made me realize it's not for me.
I am not actually sure how happy I am about the constant updates of Fedora, but all things considered, this seems to be the right choice, since it offers much more options.

Tags
advanced, fedora, ubuntu