Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th August 2010, 07:19 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Where do shutdown log messages go?

Are the messages from shut down logged anywhere? I know the boot messages go into /var/log/dmesg, then /var/log/messages after / is mounted read/write. But so far, I haven't discovered where shut down log messages go. The reason I ask is that the new systemd refuses to shut down. The message was either that turning off journalling or stopping monitoring was dangerous. The suggested fix was to use --force to stop whichever process was hung. I had to kill power to finish the shut down, which isn't my favourite way to shut down. I'd like to file a bug against systemd, but I'm not sure at this point if it was standard ext4 journalling or lvm monitoring that blocked the shut down.

Thanks in advance,
dd_wizard
Old 4th August 2010, 07:36 PM
nimnull22 Offline

linuxopera
Re: Where do shutdown log messages go?

I solve it differently - i use upstart. I am gonna wait until this behavior will be fixed.
I do not like when features pushed completely untested and raw.
You can take a screen picture an post it with bug, because I think it somehow manages to shut down logging.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:19 PM
GoinEasy9 Online

linuxchrome
Re: Where do shutdown log messages go?

I asked the same question about a shutdown log when the second 2.6.34 kernel came into rawhide a while back and the computer would hang during shutdown. I was able to see something in the scroll, but wasn't fast enough to read the info before it disappeared. I remember in Debian, the boot.log would contain all of the boot scroll, I liked when it was verbose, it helped with diagnosis. As far as the shutdown scroll, having access to a log would be helpful, but I never found out how to enable it/access it/find it.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

Tags
log, messages, shutdown