Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 16th May 2011, 07:51 AM
dasplatypus Offline

linuxchrome
How to get JRE (Java) working under Chrome in Fedora 14 x86

I recently couldn't get Java to work under Chrome. After looking I found some info here that helped me get it working. Hopefully this can help someone else with the same problem. I'm not a Fedora guru so any comments/suggestions/corrections would be greatly appreciated. If there's an easier/better way to accomplish this I'd love to learn about it.

1- Make sure you have java installed. You can do this by running
Code:
yum list jre
in the terminal. If it is installed it will be listed under "Installed packages."

1a -If you do not have Java installed, you can download it here. The download is a .bin file. Navigate to the folder you downloaded it to and issue the command:
Code:
chmod +x jre-6u##-linux-i586-rpm.bin
Substitute ## for the update number you downloaded, currently it would be
Code:
chmod +x jre-6u25-linux-i586-rpm.bin
(This allows the file to be executed as a program.)

Extract and install JRE by running
Code:
 sudo bash jre-6u##-linux-i586-rpm.bin
Again substituting ## for the update you downloaded.
So currently it would be
Code:
 sudo bash jre-6u25-linux-i586-rpm.bin
You will be asked if you want to replace the JRE RPM. I selected yes. You also have the option of no, all, none and rename.

2- Once you have JRE installed, or if it was already installed, create a link between JRE's plugin file and Firefox's plugins folder by issuing this in a terminal.
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_##/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
Again, make sure to substitute ## for the current update number so it would be (currently)
Code:
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
3- Restart Chrome. You can check if Java is working here.

Last edited by dasplatypus; 16th May 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 4th January 2012, 08:31 PM
nolebrink Offline

linuxchrome
Re: How to get JRE (Java) working under Chrome in Fedora 14 x86

Worked like a charm for me. Thank you!!

Tags
chrome, fedora, java, jre, working, x86