Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2009, 03:21 AM
Replicant10000 Offline

Toshiba Satellite A215-S5818 running Fedora Core 11 64 bit, CPU fan and Omnibook woes

I've been trying to get my CPU fan to work for about five days on my lappy, which won't respond to either toshset (seeing as its a Phoenix BIOS) or cpufreq 2.3.4 (which doesn't even want to compile.) Other than that, I've taken care to not use it too much for anything. When I cat /proc/acpi/fan/FAN1/state it returns "off" and the temperatures have been observed to go over 70oC on both CPUs doing simple tasks. Have tried newest Omnibook source and I think I'm closer to fixing the problem, as it compiles fine and with ectype=11 gives me every possible entry under /proc/omnibook:

ac battery blank display dmi fan hotkeys lcd temperature touchpad version

except for "throttling."

I heard someplace that ectype=15 is better for my particular model of computer, but haven't seen any proof of that yet. I've tried every ectype between 9 and 15, and as a typo once told modprobe to install it with "19." Hotkeys haven't worked with FN+F11 (the green light on) and the only sign from omnibook that my CPU fan may be working is a garbage notice from /proc/omnibook/fan that it is running at "level 15."

Trying the experimental Toshiba driver located at memebeam.org was another one of my ideas, but it seems poking numbers into /dev is a security hazard. Not something I really want to try.

Other than that which is outlined in the directly above paragraph, what do I need to get this done once and for all? It was suggested to me to try acpi_osi="Linux" in the kernel boot parameters, but doing that caused a bunch of hot air to blow out the side of my case and the lappy to go ballistic with internal whooshing sounds. I noticed in dmesg that those same queries (from the BIOS this time) were getting ignored so . . . Not sure where to go from here.

What could be the problem?

Tags
a215s5818, bit, core, cpu, fan, fedora, omnibook, running, satellite, toshiba, woes