Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd October 2009, 03:09 PM
forkbomb Offline

linuxgentoofirefox
What would perform better?

Two questions, really. I'm actually thinking about clobbering my Gentoo install (my system is kind of a mess, half amd64 and half ~amd64, and I'm getting a bit tired of compiling) and putting Fedora on my main destktop (gasp). Haven't decided yet. We've been told at school that we'll be able to get free copies of Win7 Bidness Professional(?) x64, and honestly if I can get ahold of a copy I'll probably end up putting 7 on my desktop for the gaming (cause I get an itch from time to time, you know).

That said, I'm not entirely sure the copies will be free - highly discounted, but we'll have to see. In any case, I'll probably end up gutting my Gentoo install sometime in the next few months and replacing it with something.

Anywho, two questions:

1) The machine has a single 320GB SATA drive @7200RPM and two 80GB IDE drives @ 7200RPM. What do y'all guess would perform better: putting the / partition on the SATA drive or on a software RAID0 across the two IDE drives? In other words, I'm not sure if the performance advantages of RAID0 would outweight the slower speed of the IDE bus.

2) Can't really find an answer on this one: I know the Fedora installer supports encryption with LUKS (woohoo), but could I run encryption "over" the top of the software RAID? (In other words install the OS to a ~160GB encrypted / sitting on the RAID0)

Last edited by forkbomb; 22nd October 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 24th October 2009, 04:44 PM
forkbomb Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Well, turns out the Windows 7 thing wasn't a rumor after all and I should be getting a free copy of Win 7 sometime in the next week or so.

Think I'm just going to dual-boot, actually - I'm probably going to take the plunge and install Fedora 11 to software RAID0 on the IDE disks and put Windows 7 on the SATA disk when I get it.

(Now to figure out if you can do whole-disk encryption with Truecrypt on Windows 7...)
Old 24th October 2009, 08:49 PM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanwyk View Post
Well, turns out the Windows 7 thing wasn't a rumor after all and I should be getting a free copy of Win 7 sometime in the next week or so.
Maybe you're not talking about the $30 educational Win 7 deal (win741.com) or did the school make a deal and get that free?

Anyway, if you do mean the win741 deal, that's $30 for an upgrade copy of win7, it's worthless unless you already have a
windows installed.

Last edited by marko; 24th October 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 24th October 2009, 09:09 PM
Nokia Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanwyk View Post
Well, turns out the Windows 7 thing wasn't a rumor after all and I should be getting a free copy of Win 7 sometime in the next week or so...
My two cents:

Sell it !

OTOH, why bother with encryption for gaming ? Also, it's just Windows, so even with truecrypt on top of luks and using 2000 characters passphrases you'll never know what information exchange takes place between your box and Msoft upon login. So...why bother ?

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 24th October 2009, 09:20 PM
forkbomb Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokia View Post
My two cents:

Sell it !

OTOH, why bother with encryption for gaming ? Also, it's just Windows, so even with truecrypt on top of luks and using 2000 characters passphrases you'll never know what information exchange takes place between your box and Msoft upon login. So...why bother ?
It's easy. Why not bother?

Yes, marko, it's totally free. Don't know how they swung it. Probably worked it into the tuition somehow.