Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th October 2009, 11:41 AM
linuxman11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Failed upgrade to Fedora 11 from fedora 6 using the fedora 11 cds

Dear Guys,
I upgraded some old systems before from fedora 4 and fedora 6 to fedora 9 and 10 using the cds, When I booted the cds of fedora 9 and 10 it detected the old installed fedora and offered to upgrade it, It sounds nice, I chose to upgrade and every thing went fine, The old fedora 4 and 6 became 9 and 10.
Now I try to do the same with 1 of my friends, He told me that after booting the pc from the new fedora 11 cds, It didn't offer to upgrade the old installed system, Although after that in detected the installed fedora, But didn't offer to upgrade it like happened before with fedora 9 and 10.
So did they removed this good feature from fedora 11?
I mean may fedora 11 can do the upgrade only from fedora 10 even if you use the complete cds.
Old 13th October 2009, 04:14 PM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

linuxfedorafirefox
My suggestion based on personal experience (not endorsed by other users of these forums, I know) is never upgrade Fedora unless contiguous versions are involved (i.e. 9 to 10 or 10 to 11, etc.). Even so, be prepared for a great deal of troubleshooting. To be on the safe side, always perform a fresh install. Having separate partitions for root (/), /usr/local and /home helps... hth
Old 13th October 2009, 04:22 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
I'll second that motion: I would not try any upgrade to F11 (even if paid to do so), because of the file system changes alone (let alone all the other major software changes). Too much fixing would be needed, IMHO.

V
Old 13th October 2009, 05:35 PM
linuxman11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dear Guys,
Thanks for the reply, I know it will be there some troubleshooting when we upgrade from old version to a new Fedora version, But not that much, I upgraded last year production servers from fedora 4 to Fedota 9 and 10, Some work of course, But the systems are good and stable and online from that time. I can carry the duty, Just wonder why Fedora guys removed the feature of upgrade from old systems to Fedora 11, Or it's there but need specific option when booting the installation media of Fedora 11, I am not sure, It was fine with Fedora 9 and 10, My friend has only Fedora 11 media, he is faraway and has low speed wan connection, So I wish I can help him to upgrade to Fedora 11 or he must download the Fedora 10 cds.
Waiting for your valuable suggestions and thanks very much for commenting
Regards,
Old 13th October 2009, 06:23 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman11 View Post
Dear Guys,
Thanks for the reply, I know it will be there some troubleshooting when we upgrade from old version to a new Fedora version, But not that much, I upgraded last year production servers from fedora 4 to Fedota 9 and 10, Some work of course, But the systems are good and stable and online from that time. I can carry the duty, Just wonder why Fedora guys removed the feature of upgrade from old systems to Fedora 11, Or it's there but need specific option when booting the installation media of Fedora 11, I am not sure, It was fine with Fedora 9 and 10, My friend has only Fedora 11 media, he is faraway and has low speed wan connection, So I wish I can help him to upgrade to Fedora 11 or he must download the Fedora 10 cds.
Waiting for your valuable suggestions and thanks very much for commenting
Regards,
According to the documentation on Fedora 10, there was a change in format of the repository/yum.
Fedora 10 has the capability of handling both formats during an upgrade. This gives it the ability
to read the install database from 9 (and earlier I think), and update it to the new format.

Fedora 11 does not have this capability, so "upgrading" from Fedora 9 and earlier requires a
re-install.

Now that said - I think there is a way to perform an upgrade a little differently - I haven't done all
of this, but I did have a local problem (power failure during a Fedora update) that lost a lot of
libraries, and a few utilities. I made a list of the installed packages, then extracted the base
name for each package I did have installed. The remaining list can be edited or split (my list was
quite large). You might want to remove the kernel modules for instance. Put your resulting list(s)
on a USB stick.

Now boot a live cd, and mount the USB stick. You should be able to use the local repository to
install each package in the file(s) on the USB stick. This should get you to an equivalent configuration as you started with. Any missing packages can be put in a new list, and processed
again after running on the new system assuming the packages just are not on the live CD.

I don't know for sure - this may just be hot air.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:33 AM
linuxman11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Dear jpollard,
Thanks for commenting,
Playing with Linux causes us headache but gives experience. Some times I was doing severe changes to my systems, But after you fix it you learn something. And our dear Linux is flexible and amazing, Although it made me do much efforts, But I love it very much and think it's the best OS whatever.
Some times I collect some partitions or MBRs and so on from Linux servers to make anew system, Using specially the amazing dd command and some other utilities.
I think I will have to reread some things about Fedora 11 release notes to know better how it differs from Fedora 10 and 9. But I wish to have some free time today to do so.
Regards,
Old 14th October 2009, 10:14 AM
logictox Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman11 View Post
Dear Guys,

Now I try to do the same with 1 of my friends, He told me that after booting the pc from the new fedora 11 cds, It didn't offer to upgrade the old installed system,
That is odd one of the very first things even before the gui interface on my install of 11 was the option to update and not do a full install. Over the years I have always had better luck saving my data and doing a clean install but that's just me, I know many people like the update option.
Old 14th October 2009, 01:38 PM
linuxman11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
May your old Fedora system was 10 for example, I mean may Fedora 11 supports the upgrade option from Fedora 10 only.

Tags
cds, failed, fedora, upgrade