yum error

whenever I use this comand "yum install ......", i get this error:
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: extras

can anyone help me, I'm new in Linux OS

I'm using a Fedora Core 6,
I tried to instal a Fedora 12, but I got an error, the installer couldn't find an image "install.img"

I downloaded the fedora image from this torrent http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/tor...86-DVD.torrent
and I wrote this image on a DVD
I don't understand what image is looking the installer

If anyone can help me, I'm waiting an answer
thanks a lot
Old 6th December 2009, 05:01 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hello Alioshag,

That yum problem is occurring because the repo mirrors for Fedora Core 6 are long gone. Therefore your repo files are misconfigured. The final package versions for Fedora Core 6 are still available in the archives if you must use FC6 for some reason. You can teach yourself how to edit the repo files in your FC6 system to make them go to the archives for packages in a HOWTO on that subject here. But you can only update your system to the final package versions that were available when FC6 stopped being supported, so you will still be way out of date.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=221471
That problem you are having with the Fedora 12 DVD sounds like what can happen when you attempt to install from the ISO file. Is that what you're doing? Since you can burn DVDs, try burning the ISO to a disk as an image and boot your computer with it. If that is what you did, then maybe something is wrong with the disk. Try burning the image to disk again. Sometimes burning at a slower speed, say 1/2 the max for the disk, will help a low quality disk squeak by.
Old 7th December 2009, 05:29 PM
Alioshag Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I wrote the image on the disc(not just copied), and the dvd is booting, but the installer is asking me about this image "install.img"
and that's for fedora 11 and for fedora 12
fedora 6 works great
but I would like to install fedora 12

Last edited by Alioshag; 7th December 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 7th December 2009, 05:56 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Okay. You can boot with the DVD, and Anaconda starts, but maybe Anaconda cannot find the DVD drive. It's not unheard of. One thing you can try is to click the "Back" button when it gets stuck and go back to the previous page. Then continue on again. Sometimes it works to make Anaconda detect the DVD drive.
Old 7th December 2009, 06:39 PM
Alioshag Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
it doesnt work with this backsteps.
changing the dvd-rom could be a solution?

anaconda starts, then I must select the language and the keyboard and then the installer(anaconda) don't find the fedora image disk in the dvd-rom,
tahat's what happens

Tags
error, yum