Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th December 2013, 07:29 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Upgraded Fedora 18 to 19 today

For lack of anything more interesting to do with my early morning time today I decided to upgrade a spare Fedora 18 box to Fedora 19 using fedup. There was a glitch during the first run of fedup. In fact, the operation failed.
PHP Code:
testing upgrade transaction
Upgrade test failed with the following problems
:
Insufficient disk space
Need 29M free on 
/boot (1K free)
fedup ERRORUpgrade test failed
I didn't know how to handle this or what to do about it so I decided to just do a clean install. Then I got distracted for a short time by other things. When I got back to the upgrade I started wondering how I could avoid a fresh install and how to free up space on /boot.

Looking at a file listing of /boot I saw that there were 60-70 files, all initramfs, System.map, and vmlinuz files. I remembered that I had set installonly_limit=10 in /etc/yum.conf (why? I dunno really). Realizing that I could retrieve a ton of space by simply deleting some of these old files, I did just that. Now I had almost 200M free, more than enough to try the upgrade again. I reran my fedup command.
PHP Code:
sudo fedup-cli --network 19 
The operation took quite a long time. As I recall there were some 1600+ packages that were upgraded. Fedup did what it was supposed to do and in the end the box rebooted into Fedora 19.

It was a pleasant surprise to see that the whole operation was a success. The real surprise for me though was in the the fact that on this box I had a working installation of MediaWiki and MoinMoin (both backed up before hand) and NFS mounts to my server. This all still works without any intervention on my part. Nice!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 15th December 2013, 07:33 PM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

macossafari
Re: Upgraded Fedora 18 to 19 today

Great Job Glenn...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 15th December 2013, 10:04 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_7firefox

Gee thanks

Oh look! I'm running Windows 7.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 15th December 2013, 11:02 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Should have seen the upgrade I did to Fedora 20 the other day...

It was on my "crap" machine.... Y'know.. The machine that gets all of the crap loaded on it to test things out, and just keeps building up the crud...

Well, I decided just for giggles to try an upgrade on it.. fired it up, started the upgrade, and WoW! it was only a 9GB download..

I hit ok.. And a few hours later, the download and updates finished..

And...

Not a problem encountered. Runs great.

Tags
fedora, today, upgraded