Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th February 2010, 08:07 PM
TAVO Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Triple boot Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.04 and Fedora 11

Hi guys, i have at the moment a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 each one in separate hard drives, when i installed Ubuntu it taked care of the dual boot system letting me choose wich OS to run when turned on.

Now i have a third hard disk installed and i want to install Fedora 11 in that hard drive, so each OS has its own hard drive. What would be the best way to setup this ?? would Fedora let me choose any of the 3 OS ?? if so how is this done ?? i used to have a dual boot with Xp and Fedora but they were on the same hard drive, and i remember been some bug when installed in separate hard drives (back in Fedora Core 5), that´s why i want to know how can i do this.

Thanks for any tip or guide you can show me.
Old 16th February 2010, 09:00 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hello TAVO,

IMO, once things are working as you like them for the existing systems, then when you add a new Linux I would choose the option to install its GRUB in the the first sector of its boot partition. That preserves the existing boot loader arrangement. Then add a new section to the existing boot loader's config file to boot the new system. To install Fedora that way, watch for and click the "Change device" button. In the pop-up that appears, choose to install GRUB in the first sector of the boot partition. Finish installing Fedora and reboot. Then edit the existing boot loader's config file. That's just my opinion. I think it minimizes the risk of busting the existing arrangement and ending up with nothing booting.

The other alternative is to do Fedora like you did Ubuntu. Fedora's default GRUB option is to install GRUB in the master boot record and take over the boot loader chores. Anaconda (the Fedora installer) is usually good about finding existing Windows systems and adding them to the Fedora GRUB menu. Sometimes it needs some tweaking though. However, Anaconda is well-known to ignore other installed Linux systems. Those usually have to be manually added to Fedora's grub.conf file.

So either way, you are probably in for some config file editing. I just think leaving the existing boot loader in place and editing that has the least risk of problems.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:39 PM
TAVO Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
ok, i will look in to editing GRUB in my current Linux installation, but yes that is what I'm afraid though, that the new installation will break my current system.

Tags
904, boot, fedora, triple, ubuntu, windows