Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th October 2009, 10:59 PM
xtian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
New Install Newbie Question 'bout these PANICKY ALERTS!

This is the second time I've installed linux. The first time was to make a router from my 7500 Power PC using Yellowdog. Good times.

I forgot about all the panicky little messages you get with linux. I've got two right now. 1) Your Kernel is messed up. 2) "Your disk is failing!" Palimpsest says I have bad sectors, and that I "passes".

I'm regular Mac OS X user and I'm doing an internet search for some tool like disk utility. This app will check for errors and try to fix them if it finds any. SO why is Palimpsest looking if it can't fix this problem? And why are there no utilities in the various online software aggregators? Nothing promises to make your disk happy, only partition it.

I thought it might be something like searching for a "virus protection" for the Mac on versiontracker. There are so few viruses that there really are only one or two companies making anything and they are both commercial. Its one of those, you should already know who they are.

So, Should I already know that the disk utilities I am looking for are, say, command line apps? what am I missing here?

Chris
Old 8th October 2009, 11:09 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Search the forum and you'll learn all about Palimpsest and what you need to do about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 8th October 2009, 11:12 PM
markkuk Offline

linuxfirefox
Modern disk drives find and reallocate the faulty sectors by themselves without the need of running any additional software. A study made by Google shows that even a single sector reallocation means a large increase of probability of disk failure in near future. That's why Palimpsest alerts you even if the disk is still working normally.
Old 9th October 2009, 04:38 PM
xtian Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks Glen for being so kind and just pointing me to this ongoing thread on Palimpsest. Just as I said, whenever you can't find anything, there must be some "already known" issues that a newbie will simply not know. Strange I didn't think to search for Palimpsest to begin with and instead looking up the error, which strangely didn't find the thread. OE! <grin>

As per the discussion, I've disabled the startup notification app. Its a new drive. Unless it quits catastrophically in the next few weeks, I'll not have much of a case with the place I bought it from.

Thanks again. I'm sure to post again while I'm trying to get this laptop up and running as a test-platform for my new PHP/MySQL experimentations!

Chris

Last edited by xtian; 9th October 2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:37 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Maybe I should have gotten a few more hours' sleep. I don't think I got off to too good of a start here today. Anyhow, disabling Disk Notifications supresses the error messages. Since I've seen this behavior on more than one computer here at home and since there is at least one bug filed against Palimpsest I believe that the errors are safe to ignore. That and the fact that everyone and his brother are complaining about failing disks, all at the same time leads me to believe that there is nothing to worry about.

And as an after thought, we're not here to hand people answers although most of us usually do. The subject of Palimpsest has been one of the more popular subjects in the last several months so the info is not at all hard to find ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Last edited by glennzo; 9th October 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Tags
alerts, bout, install, newbie, panicky, question