Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:52 PM
TrickyHarry Offline

linuxchrome
Fedora 18 Gnome 3 fails to Resume after hibernation

I have a new Fedora 18 installation on laptop. Hibernation on closing of the laptop lid works, but the resume does not work properly.

I have a Lenovo W520 laptop, where hibernation works fine with Fedora 16 and 17.

After a hibernation, on opening the lid I can see a restore being attempted with the hard-disk led active in bursts, and multiple LEDs flash into life in synch with the hard-disk activity but, even leaving for 5 min the restore does not progress further.

Any ideas ?

I saw the thread for Restore on KDE and I am going to try the manual invocation of suspend.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

I have tested the manual hibernate :-
systemctl hibernate

The laptop did hibernate and did "power-off". On power on, the restore process seemed to go well, past the boot menu, but the screen in graphical mode had a black & white pattern and I was forced to reboot.

I have a separate Lenovo w510, this is a w520. The w510 was upgraded from F17 to F18 and restore from hibernate works properly on that machine.

I will test suspend and report back.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

I have tested the manual invocation of suspend, but the restore from the manual invocation is the same from just closing the lid - does not restore properly, the machine gets in a loop attempting to restore.

I had to force the computer off and then to power it on.
Old 24th February 2013, 08:55 PM
Chava Her O Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Re: Fedora 18 Gnome 3 fails to Resume after hibernation

I have the same problem since i installed Fedora 18 GNOME distro in my laptop.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:47 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 18 Gnome 3 fails to Resume after hibernation

What kind of netbook is this exactly?

Have a look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log after a failed thawing.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:37 AM
markus39 Offline

linuxfirefox

I can't help you, I just want to say I have also have a Lenovo W520 with Gnome 3 as desktop and suspend works for Intel and nVidia graphics with binary drivers.
Old 25th February 2013, 06:57 PM
Chava Her O Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
What kind of netbook is this exactly?

Have a look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log after a failed thawing.
OK, thanks for your reply.

I don't have a netbook, i have a laptop (notebook).

Compaq Presario CQ56 - 102LA.
Hardware specifications:
- AMD V140 Processor, 2,3 Ghz, L2 cache with 512 KB.
- 250 GB Hard Disk (Western Digital).
- RAM Memory 3072 MB DDR3 SDRAM (1024 MB ADATA, Kingston 2048 MB).
- LCD HD Screen Brightview HP, 15,6 inchs (1366x768 resolution).
- LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±RW.
- AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphic Card.

Operating System: Fedora 18 (64 bits).
Desktop Environment: GNOME 3.6.2.

Not always occurs that problem, i don't have time now to test, cause i have very much work at my university, but when i have time to test it, i'm gonna have a look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log after error happened and i'ill write the suspend.log registry, but i've to say I've to restart the system first, because the system don't let me do nothing when the problem happen.

Last edited by Chava Her O; 25th February 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: QUOTE
Old 26th February 2013, 08:47 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

So what exactly happens when it doesn't work?

Was it working with earlier versions like Fedora 17?

Did you install the ATI proprietary driver for your graphics chip?

You could try to install the ATI legacy driver which should support HD 4000 graphics:

Code:
yum install kmod-catalyst-legacy
Quote:
but i've to say I've to restart the system first, because the system don't let me do nothing when the problem happen.
That's perfectly alright, because the log file is only overwritten when you try to resume again.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:36 PM
saarimika Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi,

Having quite same problem. Closing the lid or using pm-suspend looks working (not totally sure, but seems to go ok). When opening the lid, the machine goes to startup loop where leds flash and HD tries to startup but fails and then starts from beginning flashing leds etc.. pm-hibernate seems to work ok both hibernating and restoring the session.

I do have Lenovo T420, NVidia (with RPMFusion binary nvidia drivers). Pure Fedora 18 installation with latest updates.

Thanks for tips,
-Mika

Workaround for my case: I changed /etc/systemd/logind.conf -> HandleLidSwitch=hibernate. That is not what I really would like to have, but at least the machine will startup after lid has been closed.

Last edited by saarimika; 27th February 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11th March 2013, 12:48 AM
ILMostro Offline

linuxfirefox

Same here...I've never been able to successfully resume from suspend in Fedora17 or Fedora18 with my Lenovo W520. The pm-suspend.log file doesn't show any errors, everything is returned with "success". I think it may have to do with what happens once the System is supposed to come back up. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a line within your grub menu entry that tells the kernel what disk to "resume", although this may be perhaps more applicable for hibernating--or suspend-to-disk.

I'm gonna keep looking to see how exactly the options, if any, are set for resuming from standby in Linux(Fedora). If anyone else has any info regarding this matter, please share it on here. Thanks

The files in /sys/power/ seem to be configuration options for power-related functions. The question is, are they usually set by the system? are they manually configured? Or, is it a combination of both?
The file /sys/power/resume on my system only reads
Quote:
0:0
. I'm guessing that could be referring to the screen; once again, I'm not sure if any further options regarding suspend(to RAM) are needed in order to, successfully, resume from standby. I have the kmod-nvidia drivers installed from rpmfusion, not sure that would cause the hdd to loop aimlessly up/down though.
Old 5th June 2013, 01:42 AM
foop09 Offline

linuxchrome

I have a desktop with an AMD phenom 9650 (quad core), 4 GB or memory, and an nvidia GTX 465. On a fresh install suspend works fine. As soon as I install the graphics driver the computer cannot resume from suspend. It's rather annoying.
It always seems like the machine comes up just fine, but the screen is just black with a blinking underscore on the screen, and I have to bounce the system.

I have tried to stop the service gdm, then resume from a tty session, thinking that I could just run service gdm start, but my monitor doesn't turn off. which is dumb.

I have had the same issue with OpenSUSE and ubuntu, where resuming from suspend doesn't work once the graphics driver is installed. This is just my case.

Tags
fails, fedora, gnome, hibernation, resume