Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2017, 08:55 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Will a CPU upgrade and RAM upgrade affect my OS ?

Hello guys,

I am a server guy, which means following the mantra: "if it's not broke, don't fix it"
So, doing what I am about to do to my home PC , is something I haven't done in years.

I am going to upgrade my Asrock FM2A75M-DGS Motherboard with an M2 socket,
from an AMD A4 5300 cpu, and 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

to an AMD A10-7850K , and 2x8GB DDR3 2133Mhz

After of course a few boot-ups into BIOS so it has time to "settle itself" into the new parameters, you guys reckon my FC25 64bit will actually boot fine ?

cheers
Old 15th February 2017, 09:17 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox
Re: Will a CPU upgrade and RAM upgrade affect my OS ?

It should work, unless your OS is Windows with WGA.
Old 15th February 2017, 10:15 PM
nobody Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Talking Re: Will a CPU upgrade and RAM upgrade affect my OS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
I am a server guy, which means following the mantra: "if it's not broke, don't fix it". So, doing what I am about to do to my home PC , is something I haven't done in years.
Contrary/opposite to my philosophy... Well, every specimen of us, people, is somehow very unique.

Quote:
I am going to upgrade my Asrock FM2A75M-DGS Motherboard with an M2 socket, from an AMD A4 5300 cpu, and 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz to an AMD A10-7850K , and 2x8GB DDR3 2133Mhz.
Good Luck, you'll need (all of, and even more) it!

Quote:
After of course a few boot-ups into BIOS so it has time to "settle itself" into the new parameters, you guys reckon my FC25 64bit will actually boot fine ?
Questions for you/or who really well knows AMD (since I am from A to Z INTEL in-depth guy, actually, this was not done willingly, rather as enforcement by "let Force be with you", Darth Inteler Vader and similar INTEL BS):

[1] Does your current BIOS support AMD A10-7850K CPU?
[2] Does your current BIOS support variance of MRC algorithm for 2x8GB DDR3 2133Mhz?
(I don't think so, you should change/or at least investigate BIOS area as well)
[3] Which new BIOS you do really need to use/program to adopt your platform, to accomplish [1] and [2]?
[4] Your chances that old BIOS supports new CPU and new DDR (announced here) technology are extreme slim... Next to nuthin'!?

I would NOT try all of this, unless I am NOT 99.999% positive/sure that I understand what I am REALLY doing/about to do?!

(and, honestly, you do not understand/have more than roughly 10% ideas what is gonna to happen after upgrade either, as I read it/understood here)

Cheers,
_nobody_
Old 15th February 2017, 10:39 PM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Should work out of the box. The graphics chip on your 7850K will use the open source AMD drivers which are good
Old 16th February 2017, 12:18 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Hello guys,

I am a server guy, which means following the mantra: "if it's not broke, don't fix it"
So, doing what I am about to do to my home PC , is something I haven't done in years.

I am going to upgrade my Asrock FM2A75M-DGS Motherboard with an M2 socket,
from an AMD A4 5300 cpu, and 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

to an AMD A10-7850K , and 2x8GB DDR3 2133Mhz

cheers

Bob, why not wait for Ryzen from AMD. I suspect that it will have a configuration that will be lower cost and more performing.

I posted something about prices and performance on this forum, or do your own research for AMD Ryzen

Some of their Intel competitive chips are reported to be at 70% discount, yes, 70% off the Intel price for a comparison performing system.

The official release date is March 3rd, 2017, about 3 weeks away.

By the way, I upgraded by keeping the motherboard and upgrading the CPU and ram. The entire change was transparent, except for the benefits of 8gigs vs 2gigs ram, and a cpu that was 2x the old cpu. (I did it via Ebay resellers). It was less expensive than going the "big box" retail route.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 16th February 2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 16th February 2017, 08:37 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

It sounds like he already bought the hardware? But if he didn't yet, yes absolutely wait for Ryzen. I'll be building almost ASAP once the parts come out. I need more power
Old 16th February 2017, 10:34 AM
srakitnican Online

linuxchrome

Beauty about Linux, you can stick about any distro anywhere and it will still work assuming that the hardware is supported by the kernel of course. There might be a need for initramfs rebuild if it doesn't recognize root partition, e.g. missing sata controller modules or similar, but that is pretty much it.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:44 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratacast1 View Post
It sounds like he already bought the hardware? But if he didn't yet, yes absolutely wait for Ryzen. I'll be building almost ASAP once the parts come out. I need more power

I haven't clicked on "buy" yet. I will check out the Ryzen option now, and see what happens.

I just wanted to keep my old system mostly as it was, but with a bit more bite.
I would not need the on-cpu AMD , since I use an Nvidia card.

But basically I didn't want to reinstall it all. That being said though, reinstall is actually quite easy for me, since I always use a 3rd partition , truecrypted, as /home/ , so reinstalling the OS is just a jiffy. We shall see.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:12 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I haven't clicked on "buy" yet. I will check out the Ryzen option now, and see what happens.

I just wanted to keep my old system mostly as it was, but with a bit more bite.
I would not need the on-cpu AMD , since I use an Nvidia card.

But basically I didn't want to reinstall it all. That being said though, reinstall is actually quite easy for me, since I always use a 3rd partition , truecrypted, as /home/ , so reinstalling the OS is just a jiffy. We shall see.
The new AMD Ryzen will work with Nvidia

Old 16th February 2017, 10:53 PM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

If you didn't buy then absolutely wait for Ryzen. Assuming the leaked information is true, you could get an i5-like CPU for the same price as that 7850K, have a lower TDP and have support for things like DDR4, PCIe 3.0 and NVMe solid state drives
Old 17th February 2017, 02:09 AM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox

" Assuming the leaked information is true, "

It's not. Its an idiotic assumption about number of cores and "clock rates " made a a writer from Forbes magazine, a business publication. The "clock rate" of a processor is a highly deceptive number.

It is known from benchmarks of recent years that Intel processors are 60-70% faster at the same "clock rate" AMD already has 8-core models which compare poorly to Intel quad core models at the same "clock rate".

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...370/3502vs2983

The 70% idiotic assumption came from comparing an $1049 i7 8-core model with the price of an 8-core Ryzer. Considering the above test and many others if current 8-core AMD are 60% slower than a 4 core Intel at the same 4.0 GHZ the mere existence of a newer AMD 8-core, a likely slight improvement, won't change the equation much.

If a $250 AMD 8-core processor is 60% slower than a $400 4-core Intel at the same 4.0 GHZ even with double the cores how would a newer 8-core Ryzer compare at all to an 8- core i7 ?

Any technically competent and intelligent person with some knowledge of processor history would not be fooled by the Forbes article.
Old 17th February 2017, 04:02 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
" Assuming the leaked information is true, "

It's not. Its an idiotic assumption about number of cores and "clock rates " made a a writer from Forbes magazine, a business publication. The "clock rate" of a processor is a highly deceptive number.

It is known from benchmarks of recent years that Intel processors are 60-70% faster at the same "clock rate" AMD already has 8-core models which compare poorly to Intel quad core models at the same "clock rate".

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...370/3502vs2983

The 70% idiotic assumption came from comparing an $1049 i7 8-core model with the price of an 8-core Ryzer. Considering the above test and many others if current 8-core AMD are 60% slower than a 4 core Intel at the same 4.0 GHZ the mere existence of a newer AMD 8-core, a likely slight improvement, won't change the equation much.

If a $250 AMD 8-core processor is 60% slower than a $400 4-core Intel at the same 4.0 GHZ even with double the cores how would a newer 8-core Ryzer compare at all to an 8- core i7 ?

Any technically competent and intelligent person with some knowledge of processor history would not be fooled by the Forbes article.
Toms hardware, Phoronix and even PC World and English journals have done benchmarks and yes, AMD has caught up to Intel, and yes, at 70% discount so a $1000 intel cpu will be $300 for the equivalent froim AMD.

There are a few great Ryzen videos on youtube. It costs you nothing to wait. Intel is reacting by introducing new I3's which are unlocked.

Dell, Lenova, Samsung, etc are going to offer Ryzen systems because the price drop for their Ryzen based hardware will increase sales against the Tablets and against INTEL only cpus..

There is a one hour presentation of the Ryzen CPU against Intel's I7, both using stock settings. Programs were video rendering, and some others. The presentation was at CES, and attendees could try their own benchmarks. Same ram for both, same m2 ssd for both, same dd4 specs for both AMD and Intel

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-desktop-cpu-listing-february/

Interesting write up here at Extreme Tech.
Quoting a paragraph from Extreme Tech...

Quote:
If these figures are remotely in the ballpark, Intel is in for a world of hurt. The chip most closely resembling the Ryzen tested above is the Ryzen 7 1700X, a 3.4GHz chip with a 3.8GHz Turbo. The results above suggest (tentatively!) that AMD’s $389 core will land between the Core i7-6800K ($441) and the 6850K ($628). Meanwhile, the top-end Ryzen 4GHz chip will land at $500 — less than half the price of Intel’s current eight-core CPU family. That $389 price point could blow the quad-core Core i7 out of the water at an equivalent price and should be advantageous against the “middle” of Intel’s HEDT lineup.

Last edited by lsatenstein; 17th February 2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:11 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

That's super interesting with the Ryzen. I guess instead of doing a "mini-upgrade", I will treat myself to a "larger upgrade" for Xmas 2017, and get a full new beast, Mobo and all.
Only issue is, I really want to stay with Nvidia. Or you guys reckon the new Radeon Open Source driver will work good ?
Old 17th February 2017, 10:34 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
That's super interesting with the Ryzen. I guess instead of doing a "mini-upgrade", I will treat myself to a "larger upgrade" for Xmas 2017, and get a full new beast, Mobo and all.
Only issue is, I really want to stay with Nvidia. Or you guys reckon the new Radeon Open Source driver will work good ?
Bob, I am in your situation. I already have a case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, dVD and Sata SSD and disk that I can reuse. I may have to go for a new case and power supply, and purchase the rest, eg, cpu, cooler, video card, and ddr4 ram.

What is not known is if i can purchase a ready-made system for less money than getting the components and doing my own thing.

I am going to upgrade as I do want USB3 and Sata6 or M2 SSD support. I spend hours per day on the PC (My 5 disk wonder). I blog, follow 2 computer courses, and try some software that interests me when it comes across my browsing.

Old 18th February 2017, 12:43 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm definitely interested in the upcoming Ryzen release. But yeah as you said Isatenstein, they've done demos and hands on setups and presentations at CES showing the comparison of comparable Intel CPUs to AMD, and there was another benchmark that showed the AMD 1600x (6C12T) at 3.56GHz beating the Intel 6800K (6C12T) at 4GHz. It had a lower single core score by about 60, but it got 1000 points more on the multi-threaded benchmark (synthetic).

https://tech4gamers.com/amd-ryzen-5-...core-i7-6800k/

They both use the same threading technology and as far as we know the same size L3 cache, bump up the AMD to 4GHz like the Intel and it will remain better at multicore and exceed it at single core for $150 less and a TDP of 95W, not 140W. Even if it did turn out the AMD performed just a bit worse, I would be happy to keep the extra cash than pay into the Intel monopoly. I'm ready to swap out my blue for red and get the performance I need at a lower price. My workload has exceeded my i5 limits

Tags
affect, cpu, ram, upgrade