Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2017, 05:40 PM
ads103 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Window "smudging" in Fedora 25 MATE Compiz

When using Fedora 25 MATE with Compiz, when I enable Compiz, my desktop wallpaper disappears, and when I drag a window, the window produces a trail that lingers indefinitely, until Compiz is shut down, or until another window is dragged across the trail. The effect is somewhat difficult to describe, so I'll include a screenshot. It resembles Windows back in the day, when dragging a window across a crashed program would leave a trail.
There's plenty of posts out there about screen tearing, but this is not the same issue. This issue begins out of the box, after a fresh install of the MATE with Compiz spin.

I don't even know where to get started with troubleshooting this. I haven't touched Compiz since 2010. But, man, do I miss those wobbly windows...

My system is a Dell Latitude E6440. lspci has the following to say about graphics:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)
	Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:05bd]
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
Has anyone seen this before? What other information is needed to help troubleshoot? And, of course, I'm always looking to learn more about how all this works, so if anyone is fine with taking the time to explain how all the pieces of a linux desktop fit together, and why something like this may happen, I'll be more than grateful.
Attached Files
File Type: gz smudging.tar.gz (475.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 15th February 2017, 06:59 PM
ads103 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
[SOLVED] Re: Window "smudging" in Fedora 25 MATE Compiz

This issue is resolved.
I resolved it by enabling the Compiz Wallpaper plugin. Apparently, if Compiz isn't responsible for drawing the wallpaper, things break.
I feel like I should point out that the Wallpaper plugin isn't available if one installs MATE and Compiz using the package manager on a fresh install of Fedora. To be specific, I mean a completely fresh install as in the main one that comes with GNOME 3 - not any of the spins. Hopefully this info will help someone in the future.

Tags
compiz, fedora, mate, smudging, window