Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th January 2013, 05:06 AM
usafitz Offline

macossafari
Basic question for email server

Hey all, I have a very basic question. Do I need anything besides Postfix to receive emails?

To send them out, I use SendGrid, but I can't seem to grasp the basics for receiving emails. I would guess that when someone sends it to example@domain.com, the traffic would find it's way to domain.com and the server would put it in example's email directories. Is it really that basic, or am I missing something?

If you know of any prior posts that reference these basics, please send them my way. And thanks again for the help!

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Well, I guess I have one other question. What are you guys using to receive and send emails? If I'm using postfix and SendGrid, do I need any other programs (besides spam filters) like courier or dovecot, or am I good to go with just postfix?
Old 6th January 2013, 05:27 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Basic question for email server

postfix is just an MTA - a mail transfer agent, it receives and routes mail. Perhaps even to local files for mbox or maildir. To read mail you need a mail delivery agent (MDA) like dovecot. Dovecot for examples servers pop3 & imap protocol. Then you also need a a MUA (mail user agent) client like evolution, thunderbird, pine ...

fwiw postfix&dovecot work nicely together and IMO anyone rational want to use IMAP and maildir.
Old 6th January 2013, 05:31 AM
usafitz Offline

macossafari
Re: Basic question for email server

That's what I thought and it's what I was doing at first. But then I took advice from someone who said I didn't need it.... that's when I turned off dovecot and everything stopped working : )

thanks for the reply!

Tags
basic, email, question, server