Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th October 2009, 08:23 PM
john_erlandsson Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
[SOLVED]nvidia and kernel questions

Hi!

I am new to linux, and ave been running fedora 11 for a while...
After installing google earth i realized that i did not have any drivers installed for my Geeforce 8800GT graphic card.

After a bit of googeling i found that i needed to install the kmod-nvidia package. But when installing the package with yum and rebooting the computer it fails to start kde and gets stuck with a black screen.

I can still boot from an old kernel but the latest one wont work even after removing the kmod-nvidia package.

since i had a couple of old kernels left, i tried installing the driver again on one of them. This time i choosed the kmod-nvidia which had the same version number as my kernel (the one i tried first was simply called "kmod-nvidia"). But the result was the same as before.

So my questions are:

what went wrong?

Can i simply yum remove the broken kernel and install it again without any problems?

Is it better to download the driver from nvidia.com rather than getting it from the repository?

Appreciate any help...

//John

Last edited by john_erlandsson; 18th October 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:31 PM
Camberwell Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
one mistake i made once was not installing kmod-nvidia-PAE

if you just try to install kmod-nvidia, it wont work

just make sure you are using a PAE kernel first

this might help
Operating System: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)
Desktop Environment: KDE 4.1.12
Old 12th October 2009, 08:40 PM
john_erlandsson Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
just found this tutorial... The akmod seems like a good idea. Will try this once i get the latest kernel working again....

I am running the standard kernel

Last edited by john_erlandsson; 12th October 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12th October 2009, 10:27 PM
twohot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sorry john_erlandsson, from my experience, removing and reinstalling the kernel gets you nowhere. It seems some configuration files that were created during the installation remain unchanged after the kernel has been renewed. Essentially, dependent packages still think you have the old kernel and behave accordingly.

I suspect the kmod-nvidia driver is created from driver codes supplied by nVidia developers -- the installation scripts on their sites repeat the same failure pattern and will report alteration on a reinstalled kernel (it doesn't know its a clean install). One advice though: If you do get your Card working with the kmod or nvidia scripts, don't perform any installs that will relocate or adjust your xorg.conf significantly. Its fatal.

Right now, I'm anxious to see 3D acceleration implemented by the Nouveau driver from fedora developers. That looks, to me, like the solution that will set most people at ease.

Last edited by twohot; 12th October 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 13th October 2009, 01:22 AM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
you might want to search for my posts on the kernel and nvidia issue ( there are 3 with 5 pointing )
change "nvidia"in xorg.conf to "nv " and then install the kmod then rename the driver back to nvidia .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 13th October 2009, 09:28 PM
john_erlandsson Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thank you for replying. I am out on field work for the rest of this week. But now i have some ideas to work with when i get home.

I have not installed the kernel-devel & kernel-headers. Will try that. Is there any way of booting up without starting X? Would be nice to keep working with the broken kernel instead of destroying the last working one i have...

//John
Old 18th October 2009, 08:11 PM
john_erlandsson Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Installed the PAE kernel and followed the tutorial... Worked like a charm. GoogleEarth and SweetHome3D is smooth as silk.

Thank you.

//John

Tags
kernel, nvidia, questions