Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 2nd May 2012, 11:12 AM
mikeewales Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Can't login with kernel update and NVIDIA

Installing new drivers isn't the issue, that's a piece of cake. What is the issue is that whereas a with failed X start I used to be able to login as root and reinstall new drivers. Easy. Now I can't log in to yum anything. Well I can but I have to reboot into single user or level 3. But I have to reboot via the reset button, which causes one of my disks to fsckfor 5 minutes. Or boot my laptop, login, su to root, init 3 to get a login screen. blah, blah... Maybe my original post was unclear.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:58 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

In answer to your original question, I think systemd is the culprit, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:26 PM
mikeewales Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks Dan. That's what I suspected it might be. Perhaps I'll file a bug report.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:46 PM
billquinn Offline

linuxfirefox

I'll jump in here. Maybe this is breaking half a dozen forum rules, but perhaps Dan will have mercy!

On April 27 I posted a question, and so far no one's commented on it. When I saw this thread, I thought maybe the two problems are related since mine had to do with running two monitors--which would seem to be related to video drivers.

I would certainly appreciate any comments from this august group on my thread, which is here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279224

Thanks so much.

Bill
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:52 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I see no reason to display any sort of mercy here. You knew what you were doing when you did it. Therefore ... no mercy, no leniency. That being said, these, methinks, are related, but two distinct issues. That being said, they will get far more attention pushed up the hill a little farther. Therefore ...

Threads merged!

<....>
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:34 PM
pi3832 Offline

linuxchrome
F16 nouveau: Newer kernels silently fail to black screen

(Thank you to whoever deleted my previous, aborted, thread.)

Recent kernels cause my computer to fail to initialize the graphics display. To add insult to injury, I can't switch into a TTY, either. Kernel image 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 boots fine. Anything newer and the display fails, giving me only a black screen.

Comparing the "messages" and "Xorg.0.log" files between a working and a failing boot reveals no unique errors. (Meaning, there are errors in the Xorg log, but they appear when the system is working, too.) Indeed, there are almost no lines at all that appear in only one log or the other. (I cut'n'pasted them into a spreadsheet and compared them, line by line. All 587 of 'em. "diff" chokes on the different time stamps, and on the variations in the order of lines.)

In the Xorg log, the failing boot sees an HDMI connector instead of a DVI. This the on-board video, which does have an HDMI connector, but doesn't have a DVI connector. I'm actually using the D-SUB detector. The working boot doesn't see the HDMI, but does see the DVI. E.g.,:
Code:
[    23.428] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output HDMI-1 has no monitor section
[    22.918] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-D-1 has no monitor section

[    23.451] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID for output HDMI-1
[    23.034] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID for output DVI-D-1

[    23.451] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output HDMI-1 disconnected
[    23.035] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-D-1 disconnected
Is the "DVI-D-1" connector actually the D-SUB? Do I need to force nouveau to see the DVI somehow? (Such as in KernelModeSetting.) Or do I just need to tell it the right modes? (Can you still do that in xorg.conf?)

I can post logs (or just the unique lines) as needed.

Thanks.

EDIT:
The motherboard in question: MSI K9NGM3-FIH. Video is NVIDIA GeForce 7050.

Last edited by pi3832; 2nd May 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added hardware details.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:38 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 nouveau: Newer kernels silently fail to black screen

You are not alone. This appears to be chronic. Please file a bug report here. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

Thanks!

(Threads merged)
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:52 PM
pi3832 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
There are no 173xx drivers available in the repos for anything past F14~F15. And as Nouveau is a great white fail-whale on many older cards...
So, maybe I should go with my thought of buying some other video card? Since it might not only be the easiest route to solving my current problem, but should help prevent future ones? I mean, it's very frustrating that older kernels work fine, and, besides, I'm not trying to do anything fancy!

(Or, indeed, maybe I should get a completely different motherboard, considering that I've also got serious issues with data transfer speeds to USB. Which are endemic to the Linux kernel, AFAICT, but at least I could get a replacement MoBo with some actual documentation, so that maybe I might have a hope in hell of figuring out what's wrong.)
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:57 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I'm not sure what the wisest route is. I will say that as far as laptops go, I only buy INtel video versions now. It ain't the fanciest thing on the block ... but ordinarily it Just Works® ™ with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Nvidia used to be that way; just hit Leigh's install guide and you were good to go. But not so much anymore.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:40 AM
fatAngel Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by picasso_1.2.13 View Post
i can't tell if you're trying to be helpful or pointing out the obvious because you think i'm an idiot and missing an obvious point?

do you know why the Nvidia installer is choking?
hi picasso,

i had the same problem and solved it by downloading the latest NVIDIA-driver.
do u use the installer NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-285.05.09.run?

for me it worked to use NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.49.run.
but u may need to run the installer twice. during my first try an error occured (/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is not a symbolic link).

hope this helps

greets from austria
Old 8th May 2012, 09:43 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by picasso_1.2.13 View Post
i'm on F15/i386 and I'm having issues with the Nvidia driver. it seems to work perfectly with 2.6.42.9-2.fc15, but it breaks with 2.6.43.2-6.fc15. the Nvidia install log doesn't say much as to why it's choking. Anyone know what changed in the 2.6.43.2-6.fc15 kernel that breaks the Nvidia installer or know how to make the Nvidia install tell me exactly what it's checking that causes it to fail?
Yes it's the 3.3 kernel changes, rpmfusion patched the driver so it would work unlike nvidia.com.

Quote:
%changelog
* Tue Apr 03 2012 leigh scott <leigh123linux@googlemail.com> - 173.14.31-2
- patched to build with 3.3.0 kernel

* Tue Apr 03 2012 Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart@gmail.com> - 173.14.31-1.27
- rebuild for updated kernel

http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms...ee&view=markup
Old 20th May 2012, 07:28 PM
billquinn Offline

linuxfirefox

I just installed the newest kernel, 2.6.43.5-2.fc15.i686.PAE. To my astonishment, I'm still having the same problem I had with 2.6.43.2-6.fc15.i686.PAE--see the first post in this thread. I am using nouveau, NOT nvidia, so why is this problem persisting?

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Bill
Old 21st May 2012, 03:57 AM
pjoh Offline

linuxchrome

Anyone tried the nvidia packages from atrpms repo, they seem to have packages for older cards for later versions of fedora (15, 16 and 17). Hoping to hear that someone has atrpms nvidia-graphics-legacy-96xx working on f16 as I'm thinking of trying f16 of 17 on a x86 machine that is currently running f14 with 96xx nvidia driver from rpm-fusion.
Old 21st May 2012, 07:41 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoh View Post
Anyone tried the nvidia packages from atrpms repo, they seem to have packages for older cards for later versions of fedora (15, 16 and 17). Hoping to hear that someone has atrpms nvidia-graphics-legacy-96xx working on f16 as I'm thinking of trying f16 of 17 on a x86 machine that is currently running f14 with 96xx nvidia driver from rpm-fusion.
I wouldn't use the rubbish from atrpms.

Tags
black, black screen, f16, fail, kernel, kernels, login, newer, nouveau, nvidia, prevents, screen, silently, silently fails, update