Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th July 2012, 04:12 AM
Secant Offline

linuxfirefox
Touchpad tap-to-click doesn't work in xfce (F17)

I'm setting Fedora 17 up a new laptop with a standard synaptics touchpad. It was a standard installation, except that I chose to install xfce instead of GNOME. The touchpad has worked properly right from the start, but tap-to-click was not enabled. After some googling, I installed gpointing-device-settings and was able to configure thresholds, etc. for the touchpad, but I still couldn't enable tap-to-click. After some more googling, I created the following X config file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-enable-taps.conf:

Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "tap-by-default"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
EndSection
That change causes touchpad tapping to work properly at the login screen (GDM). But as soon as I log in and xfce starts, tapping stops working. I can run

Code:
synclient TapButton1=1
from a command line afterwards to enable tapping, but that'd be a real bummer if I had to do that every single time. What's more, if I use xfce's builtin "run a command on login" feature in the session manager to run synclient on login, for some reason it never runs the command. How frustrating!

I'd rather fix the issue in X, though, and not have to run synclient at all. Is there a reason that xfce doesn't use the same X configuration files as GDM? Any help is most certainly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Huh... Fixed it by installing the "GNOME Desktop Environment" group, going into GNOME 3 (*shudder*) and configuring it there. Not entirely sure why it had to be done in GNOME, but it's working in xfce now and I'm more than happy to just ignore GNOME from now on.

Gonna mark this one SOLVED, case closed.

Last edited by Secant; 29th July 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 29th July 2012, 01:28 PM
Varg Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Touchpad tap-to-click doesn't work in xfce (F17)

Might have been better to set up a configuration in the xorg.conf.d directory.
I also use Xfce, I put a file in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/" named "10-synaptics.conf"

Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"
	Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
	Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "on"
EndSection
No need for gnome
Old 1st August 2012, 01:42 AM
Secant Offline

linuxfirefox

Worked a treat. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I can finally relax in a GNOME-free environment.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:41 PM
graemev Offline

linuxiceweasel

That fix from varg also works in debian wheezy with xfce selected.

For my touchpad the scrolling is wrong (hardware does not detect two fingers) but I think I can fix that.

To avoid the syndrome of monkey see, monkey do .... could you explain what it's doing and how?

Tags
f17, taptoclick, touchpad, xfce