Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2011, 10:29 AM
Greken Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
libGL issue with Maya and Fedora 14

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to Linux and have just made my very first install-from-scratch of a Linux distro. Fedora 14 in this case. I would almost get impressed by myself if it wasn't for this troublesome issue that I have right now:

If I open Maya 2009 or Maya 2012 (the only installs that I have of that app) and press "New scene" (or open any scene)Maya will just close itself down. No warnings. No drama.

I have already done the basics by removing all prefs and it did not work. So, in order to get further information, I ran it through gdb:

Code:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000038b58775ea in ?? () from /usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so.1
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install Maya2009_0_64-2009.0-452.x86_64
This gave me two leads: libGL and debuginfo-install.

Lead #1: debuginfo-install
When executing the line below, it results in the error "Could not find debuginfo for main pkg: Maya2009_0_64-2009.0-452.x86_64. No debuginfo packages available to install":

Code:
debuginfo-install Maya2009_0_64-2009.0-452.x86_64
Since Maya is a commercial product I don't think Fedora could store any info in their own repositories. Maya was installed using a rpm-file. Does rpm have such a feature so it can look inside the rpm package for "debuginfo"?

Lead #2: libGL
I should mention what I have configured in Fedora 14 so far:

The Nouveau drivers are disabled, since they do not work very well with Maya and similar commercial applications.
The Nvidia drivers were installed in two steps (with a reboot between each line):

Code:
yum update kernel*
yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64
Additional infos
This is the hardware I have been using:
CPU: Intel Core i7 990X (3,4 GHz)
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro FX 3800

It might be worth mention that I did an "update" once by clicking the bug icon that appeared in Fedora which installed 300+ updates to different packages/libraries. It DID mess up my host file so I couldn't resolve this machine's IP address so it wouldn't suprise me if it has done something else.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what more I could try?

Update 1#: mesa-OpenGL
I totally forgot to read through the install documentation before posting here. I found this in the manual:

"Some distributions include the system OpenGL driver mesa-GL, which is not ideal for running Maya. Maya is a 64-bit application and requires a 64-bit OpenGL 3D-accelerated driver for best performance."

The manual suggested that I could try read the upper part of the glxinfo in order to see what I was using. And of what I could find, this looks right:

Code:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: Quadro FX 3800/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.36
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Since I also kept a log of all modifications that I have made in Fedora 14, I double-checked with it as well. Nothing that would say that I have installed mesa-GL. But to be triple sure, I ran this command:

Code:
yum info mesa-libGL.x86_64
And that command told me that it's installed. So does that mean that it's used then? Or is there a safer way of checking which OpenGL is used?

Last edited by Greken; 8th June 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added research updates
Old 10th June 2011, 09:28 AM
Greken Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: libGL issue with Maya and Fedora 14

Okay, I have figured out why I even had mesa-libGL.x86_64 installed. It's because wxPython has it as dependency when I installed it using yum.

As soon as I removed mesa-libGL.x86_64 Maya worked again. But by removing mesa-libGL.x86_64 it removed several dependencies that I still need (among them two mesa-devel packages)..

Will report back to this thread once I have solved this mess.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

As I understand it, yum does not remove a single package without taking the dependencies into the account. So I had to solve it using rpm:

Code:
rpm -e --nodeps mesa-libGL-7.9-5.fc14.x86_64
I don't know if this might break something else in the system, but at least currently I do not use OpenGL with wxPython so I'm fine with this =)

This solves my problem and I hope it will help someone else in the future!!
Old 25th February 2013, 07:34 AM
quaam Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you! This has helped me with the very same problem on Fedora 15
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:43 AM
focusgfx Offline

linuxchrome

thank you, your post solved my problem too, thanks again
maya 2014 and fedora 18
Old 12th September 2013, 09:42 PM
focusgfx Offline

linuxchrome

I've found another solution without disabling the mesa-libGL
what I did is, I copied the all the files inside blender/lib folder to maya/lib folder and maya worked perfectly!
I know that it's weird but it worked )
[blender 2.68a]
maya 2014 and fedora 19-x86_64

Tags
64 bit, fedora 14, libgl, nvidia