Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th October 2009, 08:41 PM
arttorney Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
About updates screwing printing up, one of the major things that got me to switch last year is that the official windows compatible driver disk for my Lexmark X75 that had worked like a charm on every Windows since Windows 98 suddenly became uninstallable on Vista. (Ticked me off)

Admittedly, it took a while to find a Linux driver that works for that printer (but I did, so I no longer have to trash a perfectly good printer).
Old 15th October 2009, 01:03 AM
barry905 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
To go back to your original question, I've been using Fedora since the days of Red Hat 5, if you see what I mean. Some of the releases I just didn't bother with, others I installed. I don't use any exotic hardware so I never had any problems with updates. I tend to use windows for my main workstation for its video capabilities and driver for my colour laser printer, but I find Fedora/Centos to be perfect for my needs otherwise. So go ahead and use them - you won't regret it.

One (not so small) point, the support available here is nothing short of amazing. Whenever I've had a problem the response has been timely and accurate. So with Fedora not only do you get an OS which is great, but in the event that you have a problem so get timely support. Difficult to beat that combination!
Old 15th October 2009, 03:06 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Keep in mind, this support isn't official, and there are times when we're all stuck for a solution when someone has a problem. However, we have some really knowledgeable folks on this forum, and there's a darn good chance that even if your problem doesn't get solved, you'll at least get some sympathy.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon