Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th October 2012, 01:55 AM
jeffneedle Offline

linuxchrome
Fuduntu vs. Fedora

Hi. I'm brand new here.

I'm running the latest distro of Fuduntu and I like it very much. However, it's stuck with the Gnome 2 desktop -- I would love to have some of Gnome 3's dependencies resolved so I can run apps like Evolution 3.x.

Two features I truly love about Fuduntu. I like the AWN panel and I'm guessing regular Fedora can install AWN. Also, I love the fact that I can swing the mouse cursor to the upper right hand corner of the screen and see a display of all my open windows. Is this peculiar to Fuduntu or does Fedora itself behave in this way?

A switch makes a lot of sense for me right now. But I don't want to lose these features.

Any guidance will be truly appreciated.
Old 14th October 2012, 02:43 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Fuduntu vs. Fedora

Moved to Linux Chat since Fundutu is no longer based on Fedora.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:34 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffneedle View Post
Hi. I'm brand new here.

I'm running the latest distro of Fuduntu and I like it very much. However, it's stuck with the Gnome 2 desktop -- I would love to have some of Gnome 3's dependencies resolved so I can run apps like Evolution 3.x.

Two features I truly love about Fuduntu. I like the AWN panel and I'm guessing regular Fedora can install AWN. Also, I love the fact that I can swing the mouse cursor to the upper right hand corner of the screen and see a display of all my open windows. Is this peculiar to Fuduntu or does Fedora itself behave in this way?

A switch makes a lot of sense for me right now. But I don't want to lose these features.

Any guidance will be truly appreciated.

Cinnamon does this.

Code:
su
yum install cinnamon
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Moved to Linux Chat since Fundutu is no longer based on Fedora.
It's still based on F14 so it probably has loads of security issues,

http://packages.fuduntu.org/repo/yum/2012/STABLE/SRPMS/
Old 14th October 2012, 03:37 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

I was running Fuduntu very recently for about two weeks in my distro hopping list. So, let me attempt at an answer to your query!

The biggest difference as far as GUI is concerned is that Fuduntu still uses GNOME 2.X whereas Fedora uses GNOME 3.X. From the comments of the developers/community over in Fuduntu, I came to know that Fuduntu does not support GNOME 3.X (yet).

So, if you are using GNOME version of Fedora, you would be using GNOME-Shell/GNOME 3. This means that there are lots and lots of differences between the two "versions" of GNOME. The particular behaviour you are referring to is the default behavior of GNOME shell. Of course, it would be possible to use alternative DEs and configure them as you wish.

Long story short - It should be possible to configure Fedora as you would like to have it. But, in my experience, many of the "effects" that were present in Fuduntu would have to be configured in Fedora.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:40 AM
jeffneedle Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks to all for your responses. Very helpful. I may install Fedora on another box and see how it works out.

Best.
Old 14th October 2012, 12:14 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Aside to Leigh: Yeah, gotcha that it's still 'somewhat' F14, but he's said this:
Quote:
Fuduntu, originally Fedora-based, but later forked, is a Linux distribution that earns its name by its ambition to fit somewhere in-between Fedora and Ubuntu
So, like CentOS threads, it's dumped into Linux Chat.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 18th October 2012, 04:23 PM
steveking Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I myself tested out this new "fuduntu" not a fan if I must say so, mashing together two different distros that use completely different package managers. Sounds like trouble with a capital T lol.

If you like fuduntu I would highly recommend fedora, much more stable with a much better community behind it. You can install gnome 3 in fedora (or just download the version with it already on) although gnome has been getting alot of bad press in the open source community it is still my personnal DE of choice. Like yourself I like the hot spot area to see open windows it makes navigation alot quicker in my opinion.

I wouldnt recommend ubuntu to you thats for sure, specially with the 12.10 release coming out, and those lovely amazon adds beind displayed, yay!! If it were ebuyer adds they may have sold it to me :P

Welcome to the community, there alot of people on here with some very impressive knowledge of anything fedora. I am sure you will have any questions/queries answered very quickly (unlike the ubuntu forums)

Tags
fedora, fuduntu