Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th February 2017, 03:19 PM
bandanagyrl Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Can't get GUI on new install

I should preface that I am a brand new user to linux in general and Fedora. I have the regular workstation installed but cannot seem to get the Fedora server v25 installed with GUI.

I am running on HyperV with Win2012 ServerR2.

I currently have core installed and tried to install GNOME. The installation seems to complete successfully but then hangs at loading GNOME desktop environment. I tried to TS and in the end thought it might be a Hyper V issue.

I then reinstalled the OS and put a fresh install of the MATE desktop environment. It installs successfully but when I try to run via mate-session it comes back with an error again shown in the attachment. Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	26966  
Old 17th February 2017, 05:27 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Can't get GUI on new install

Hello,

I would like you to answer the following questions, so that I can get some clarity in what you are trying to say/do:

You have *successfully* installed FC25 server edition in a "Microsoft Hyper-V" , Virtual Machine. Correct or not ?
If YES then:
A. Are you now trying to launch the Gnome Desktop Environment , while the FC25 server is running inside the Virtual Machine ?
if NOT then:
B. Are you trying to install FC25 server in the Virtual Machine, but it just HANGS when the GUI is reached ?
Old 17th February 2017, 06:25 PM
bandanagyrl Offline

Yes I have successfully installed Fedora25 on HyperV

A) I am trying to launch the GNOME environment from within the HyperV. I currently have MATE installed but having the issue shown in previous response. The 2 may be from the same problem but I cannot seem to figure out where the issue is.

My current configuration is simply a core or terminal version of Fedora 25 Server. I understand this to be the way the package is configured until you install the GUI for an actual interface environment. Needless to say being new to Linux I would greatly prefer configuring and tinkering with the server over GUI vs CMD

Hopefully this clarifies.
Old 17th February 2017, 06:48 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

OK, open a terminal as root, and type:

Code:
yum install gdm 
yum group install "GNOME Desktop Environment"   (using the double-quotes I think works)
then once that is all done, type:
Code:
systemctl -f enable gdm.service
then type this:
Code:
systemctl set-default graphical.target
and reboot your Virtual Machine.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:19 PM
bandanagyrl Offline

Ok so I got to the second part of the first step and it says Group "GNOME Desktop Environment" does not exist. I tried without the quotes and got similar error that desktop and environment do not exist.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:25 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandanagyrl View Post
Ok so I got to the second part of the first step and it says Group "GNOME Desktop Environment" does not exist. I tried without the quotes and got similar error that desktop and environment do not exist.

Interesting, since it's listed in "yum group list".

OK, try this instead:

yum install gnome-desktop
Old 17th February 2017, 07:39 PM
bandanagyrl Offline

Excellent!! Ok the steps worked. I can't tell you how amazing this is and how much I appreciate your help. Have been trying to get this up for at least a week now!!

Thanks!!!!

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Hmmm - It seems that things are crashing alot. I can't get into settings, users, wireless config.... They either open for a second before crashing or I get a message that they have crashed right away. Thoughts? I heard gnome was a bit less reliable now which is why I thought to go Mate but that may not be true.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:50 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Awesome !

Please mark this Thread as SOLVED up at the top, under Thread Tools.
Old 3rd March 2017, 06:09 PM
bandanagyrl Offline

Sorry I had stepped away from this for a bit and am just now going back to it.

All areas that have to do with system administration and settings are basically crashing. Not able to access network. users, settings, etc.

The odd app will launch but generally quits shortly after as well. Thoughts? System config is same as above, have not made any other changes.

Tags
gui, install