Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2017, 05:34 PM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Themes not working correctly after upgrade from Fedora 23 to Fedora 25

I recently upgraded from Fedora 23 to Fedora 25. Everything seems to have otherwise worked well, but the first thing I noticed is that all the windows had gone different-looking because of new themes.
I'm using Cinnamon as my desktop as the new Gnome desktop is too difficult.
I opened the "Themes" preferences and tried to set the look of window controls. I clicked on "Controls" and it showed a pop-up menu of available styles, but there are only a few options available: Adwaita, Arc, Arc-Dark, Arc-Dark-Solid, Arc-Solid and HighContrast. There are a few others listed but they don't seem to do anything.
Whichever option I choose (except HighContrast, which I don't like), some applications, such as the Gnome Terminal and GThumb, have a dark background in their windows instead of a light one. I would want them to have a light background but can't seem to be able to.
I can install more themes from the net by clicking on "Add/remove themes" in the "Themes" preferences, but no matter which themes I install, the "Controls" setting always has the same options available. The new themes don't seem to affect this.
Am I doing something wrong here? Or is Cinnamon somehow incompatible with Fedora 25?
I think I can supply screenshots demonstrating the problem if required.
Old 19th March 2017, 05:59 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Themes not working correctly after upgrade from Fedora 23 to Fedora 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by palaste View Post
I recently upgraded from Fedora 23 to Fedora 25. Everything seems to have otherwise worked well, but the first thing I noticed is that all the windows had gone different-looking because of new themes.
I'm using Cinnamon as my desktop as the new Gnome desktop is too difficult.
I opened the "Themes" preferences and tried to set the look of window controls. I clicked on "Controls" and it showed a pop-up menu of available styles, but there are only a few options available: Adwaita, Arc, Arc-Dark, Arc-Dark-Solid, Arc-Solid and HighContrast. There are a few others listed but they don't seem to do anything.
Whichever option I choose (except HighContrast, which I don't like), some applications, such as the Gnome Terminal and GThumb, have a dark background in their windows instead of a light one. I would want them to have a light background but can't seem to be able to.
I can install more themes from the net by clicking on "Add/remove themes" in the "Themes" preferences, but no matter which themes I install, the "Controls" setting always has the same options available. The new themes don't seem to affect this.
Am I doing something wrong here? Or is Cinnamon somehow incompatible with Fedora 25?
I think I can supply screenshots demonstrating the problem if required.
Nothing you are doing wrong. It's to do with theme compatibility with the latest GTK 3 builds. I have something similar in both Fedora and Linux Mint builds of Cinnamon. I'm using a combination of elements from different themes and it seems to work better in most programs that way, so I'd suggest some trial and error of your own to find what works with your particular system:

Window borders - Mint-Y-Dark
Icons - Mint-Y
Controls - Mint-X
Cursor - DMZ-White
Desktop - Linux Mint

I extracted the Mint-Y theme and icon pack from Mint Serena (18.1) to install in Linux Mint Rosa (17.3). Rosa's kernels work with AMD's proprietary drivers for my system whereas Serena's are too recent.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:06 PM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Nothing you are doing wrong. It's to do with theme compatibility with the latest GTK 3 builds. I have something similar in both Fedora and Linux Mint builds of Cinnamon. I'm using a combination of elements from different themes and it seems to work better in most programs that way, so I'd suggest some trial and error of your own to find what works with your particular system:

Window borders - Mint-Y-Dark
Icons - Mint-Y
Controls - Mint-X
Cursor - DMZ-White
Desktop - Linux Mint

I extracted the Mint-Y theme and icon pack from Mint Serena (18.1) to install in Linux Mint Rosa (17.3). Rosa's kernels work with AMD's proprietary drivers for my system whereas Serena's are too recent.
But the problem is, I don't have any of those options in the "Window borders", "Controls" or "Cursors" settings. No matter which themes I install, the options available in those settings stay the same. There's mostly just Arc and variations of it. There are some other options in "Controls" but their preview images are blank and selecting them doesn't change the window controls. I think they are incompatible leftovers from Fedora 23 or earlier.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:14 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Remember that there are two aspects/types of "themes". One for window decoration, and one for the overall desktop appearance. I don't use Cinnamon, I'm a stalwart Xfce user, and somewhat like antikythera, I run F25/Xfce and LinuxMint 18.1/Xfce. Most of my older gtk2 windows decorator themes work as they always have, but many of the older gtk2 (desktop/panel) themes don't mash well under gtk3, so I've gone searching for, and installing/testing newer gtk3 (appearance) themes that suit my visual preferences.
Old 19th March 2017, 10:06 PM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Remember that there are two aspects/types of "themes". One for window decoration, and one for the overall desktop appearance. I don't use Cinnamon, I'm a stalwart Xfce user, and somewhat like antikythera, I run F25/Xfce and LinuxMint 18.1/Xfce. Most of my older gtk2 windows decorator themes work as they always have, but many of the older gtk2 (desktop/panel) themes don't mash well under gtk3, so I've gone searching for, and installing/testing newer gtk3 (appearance) themes that suit my visual preferences.
How do I know the difference between gtk2 and gtk3 themes? It appears that whichever them I install, it doesn't show up in the window decorations options.
I've sort of sussed out the decorations by setting mostly everything to "Adwaita", one of the few window decoration options available, and that has enabled me to make Gnome Terminal and the Firefox save dialog to have a pleasant light-coloured interface.
However, GThumb insists on being dark. A screenshot on Wikipedia also has a dark theme. Maybe GThumb itself insists on being dark, in the spirit of the commercial application Photoshop on Windows?
It sort of seems stupid to have all these themes available and yet none of them seem to do anything I want.
Old 19th March 2017, 10:14 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

look in the /usr/share/themes folder, there should be a couple of sub-folders for each theme in there if they have been maintained properly e.g.

-metacity
-gtk2
-gtk3
-cinnamon
Old 19th March 2017, 11:32 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxchrome

So, perhaps I'm out of order in commenting on Cinnamon, since I don't and never have used it. But looking, I see it uses something called Spices (I had assumed it was just using Gnome themes). Maybe have a look here if you haven't already.

Try this command:
Code:
ls -dR /usr/share/themes/*/* | grep cinnamon

Last edited by PabloTwo; 20th March 2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:50 AM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
So, perhaps I'm out of order in commenting on Cinnamon, since I don't and never have used it. But looking, I see it uses something called Spices (I had assumed it was just using Gnome themes). Maybe have a look here if you haven't already.

Try this command:
Code:
ls -dR /usr/share/themes/*/* | grep cinnamon
This command only displays the themes named "Arc" something, which is consistent with the options being shown. I'll have a look at the Spices later, I have to go to work soon.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:03 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My 0.02$:

when doing a major upgrade like you did, it is sensible to rm -rf the ~/.cache folder. That may clear some things up nicely.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:02 PM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It appears there are three different theme categories in question here.
* Cinnamon for the overall appearance
* GTK-3 for the controls
* Metacity for the window borders

Cinnamon only allows me to browse themes for Cinnamon itself. But Cinnamon is a desktop, not a graphics toolkit or a window manager, so for the controls and the windows, I have to look elsewhere.
It appears it is enough that I find a recent enough theme that has the "gtk-3.0" or "metacity" folder. But these seem to be rather hard to find. Cinnamon's Themes preferences tool offers no help. So far I've been just googling for GTK-3 themes.

Is there any easier way to do this?
Old 21st March 2017, 12:01 AM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxchrome

Because a theme package contains various "things", it doesn't mean that all those "things" are appropriate for your particular desktop environment. Many theme makers add components to satisfy multiple desktop environments. Your desktop system, cinnamon, will only show you the components from a theme package that are usable by that desktop environment, and ignore the other components.

Here is an example of a theme package that tries to cover as much ground as possible:
Code:
ls /usr/share/themes/Cloak-3.20/
cinnamon  gnome-shell      gtk-2.0  index.theme  metacity-1  README      xfwm4
Firefox   gnome-shell-GDM  gtk-3.0  LICENSE      openbox-3   ROOT-THEME
Incidently, looking at the various screenshots of the cinnamon themes I posted a link to earlier, I don't see any windows that have the classical style windows borders, just borderless, flat window panels. So it's obvious to me that I don't know much about cinnamon themeing in general.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:41 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by palaste View Post
It appears there are three different theme categories in question here.
* Cinnamon for the overall appearance
* GTK-3 for the controls
* Metacity for the window borders

Cinnamon only allows me to browse themes for Cinnamon itself. But Cinnamon is a desktop, not a graphics toolkit or a window manager, so for the controls and the windows, I have to look elsewhere.
It appears it is enough that I find a recent enough theme that has the "gtk-3.0" or "metacity" folder. But these seem to be rather hard to find. Cinnamon's Themes preferences tool offers no help. So far I've been just googling for GTK-3 themes.

Is there any easier way to do this?
https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/ord/latest/

Tags
correctly, fedora, themes, upgrade, working