Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2017, 08:59 AM
infiniteloop Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
SELinux prevents booting (again)

Hey everyone,

today, after a long weekend with public holidays, I booted up my Fedora 25 notebook and was left puzzled as my notebook freezed during the boot process at the Fedora logo.

What happened here was that the battery ran out of power during the days and the notebook was forced to reboot, after connecting it to the power cable. Then I was able to observe that during the freeze at the Fedora logo, when activating the F2 key (to view the verbose booting output) there were a lot of FAILED dmesg messages for services that weren't able to be started.

As I wasn't able to boot into run level 3 as usually, when problems occur, I attached
Code:
init=/bin/bash rw
to the GRUB boot up line and from there, I disabled SELinux in /etc/selinux/config. After reboot, to boot process ran without problems and Fedora booted up into graphical mode again.

So, I am wondering about, why the heck SELinux prevented my system again (!) from booting ? What's the problem there, actually? It is annoying and a time consuming process, searching for errors and problems. On the other side, I'd like to have SELinux enabled for - obviously - it's security reasons.

Any news here I didn't see, about recent problems with SELinux?

Best regards
Old 18th April 2017, 04:33 PM
wolfred Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: SELinux prevents booting (again)

In /etc/selinux/config change disabled to permissive, that will enable selinux, allow all but will log everything. Then check out tail -f /var/log/audit/audit.log

Tags
booting, prevents, selinux