Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th April 2017, 08:32 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
XFS versus EXT4

Some 18 months ago, I transitioned to using xfs for my Fedora home partition, and later, with Fedora 25, I made all viable partitions to be xfs formatted. One reason was that I noted a slight improvement in performance vis-a-vis ext4.

In running RSYNC backups yesterday, and during the monitoring of the boot process, I noted errors with one xfs partition.

I ran the xfs repair tool that comes with Fedora, and was disappointed to discover that it was unable to perform the repair. The only recourse was to unload the partition to a backup, reformat and restore.

In contrast, I presume that on another disk formatted with ext4, when I encountered a similar problem, the fedora repair software for ext4 was able to effect the repair, with no loss of data.

This experience tells me that for a home desktop system, where there is occasionally an unscheduled power outage, that ext4 is a better choice than xfs.

Hopefully, over time, the xfs tools to effect repairs will improve. In the meantime, I am slowly transitioning back to using ext4.

There is already a discussion of another filetype (not btrfs) to be considered. Technology marches on, we need a filetype that facilities self-healing.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 15th April 2017, 09:21 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: XFS versus EXT4

I use XFS for the root partition but only with systems that have a working backup power supply. power outage isn't an issue because of this. reliability wise, so far there's been no errors I'm aware of as the systems still work perfectly well. on an SSD is there really any difference in performance? who can tell without benchmarking the drive. for mechanical drives, you could marginally boost performance and lifespan by applying the some tweaks as per ssd drives with exception to initiating the trim service of course.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=312512

same goes for any browser tweaks that reduce disk writes. if everything is stored in RAM where possible it will of course work faster.
Old 15th April 2017, 11:12 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxchrome

Hi Antikythera

Until yesterday I was thrilled with the xfs file system. I have one SSD and 4 hard disks(2 @ 1 terrabyte, 1@250g, 1@500g). The spinners were salvaged​ from scrapped systems. One of the terrabyte drives is the common storage for the 5 different Linux drives that the motherboard can support. I partitioned the terrabyte drives into 3 equal parts. It was one of the parts that raised Linux's ire. The disk check did detect the file corruption, but could not reset the block checksum or parity. Xfs is a B+ file system and as such, it is fast for file access, but horrid for repairing a corrupted file system.

Xfs is fine otherwise​. Perhaps one corrupted partition after two years of use is not bad. I have 6 generations​ of backups, so nothing was lost. Let's hear from other users about their experiences.

Cheers.

Old 21st April 2017, 02:06 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Here is a further update. It appears that as long as I do not use xfs formatted files with rsync, I do not experience problems.
With RSYNC, I get a message about a btree leaf problem, and then, a change of partition status to ReadOnly.

Sigh, I am glad I have backups.

Tags
ext4, versus, xfs