Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th April 2017, 04:12 PM
icewater Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Best supported-out-of-the-box laser printer?

I'm trying to select a low-end laser printer that works "the best" with Fedora out of the box (no manufacturer's drivers etc).

I bought a Brother HL-L2360DW this weekend that's going back to the store today because it can't seem to print in hi-res mode with the "Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer" drivers that GNOME's printer configurer selected for it.

Any recommendations?
Old 8th April 2017, 04:19 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: Best supported-out-of-the-box laser printer?

HP are generally very well supported like this one

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ro_m201dw.html

EDIT - it's supported out of the box in that hplip ships with fedora. if you want the full hp control panel (package called hplip-gui, application called HP Device Manager in menus) that is also simple to install and gives the same level of control as their windows driver interface does.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 8th April 2017, 04:41 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have a brother printer, hl 2270dn. Its a black and white only, Toner cartridges -- two for $60 from Costco. It prints recto-verso (duplex). Its laser at 22 pages / minute. Ideal for the home. It cost me under $100.00 Fully supported by window and Linux.

There is an upgrade to his unit. I have mine 4 years -- no paper jams, no skewing of page within the printer. Just a great device. Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Laser Printer is around $120 at Walmart

I also have a brother colour business laser with scanner and fax. It is a current model, but its my dust collecter.

I have a HP printer in a box. Each toner cartridge alone costs more than my printer.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 8th April 2017, 04:54 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

problem is the OP stated they aren't happy with the latest version of the brother printer. toner cartridge prices depend where you buy from. online you can get much cheaper toners for any printer model including hp. the high street prices are astronomical. you just have to shop around a bit for a great deal.

cheap printers always equal higher consumable prices per page and over the period of ownership anyhow. it's often better to get a mid-range printer because you soon recoup the cost via cheaper higher yield consumables and they generally last longer, have better driver support for multiple operating systems heading into the future, don't have supplies discontinued as readily.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates

Tags
brother, laser, printer, supportedoutofthebox