Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th July 2006, 10:13 PM
rick3878894 Offline

Smile What Brands of mother board should i look at

If you just want the question it's in Red.

Hello, I hope that this topic isn't some were else on the site, I looked for information before making this post but I couldn't find anything.

All last week it was over a hundred degrees out side and a little hotter in my house and a lot hotter in side my computer, so my mother board is beginning to give out. I get lots of errors during start up that aren't there the next time and it just freezes some times. it has lasted 6 years and served its time. now i need a new mother board, which leads us to the meaning of this post. What brands of mother boards work best with Linux esp. Fedora? Are there any features or specific boards that you would recommend or any that i should stay a way from?

Thank You very much for you time.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:58 PM
perry753 Offline

Look into Asus motherboards.

Perry
Old 27th July 2006, 12:01 AM
PilotJLR Offline

Agreed, Asus is the best. Gigabyte and Abit are next best.
I use a nForce 4 chipset on an eVGA board (got it on a promo deal), and it works very well with FC4, FC5, and RHEL.
Old 27th July 2006, 12:01 AM
07dcolem Offline

I can agree that asus motherboards do the trick.

With the efforts of the linux community, Windows Vista will be a legacy operating system before it is released!
Old 27th July 2006, 01:21 AM
Demz

Giugabyte i'd recommend , Asus arent to bad, an or Epox
Old 27th July 2006, 02:40 AM
eengnerd Offline

FoxConn

Hi There,

I'd recommend a FoxConn motherboard based on my experience with the BIOS of that brand and the BIOS of Intel motherboards. Normally I would recommend Intel, but I've found their BIOS to be a little sloppier than FoxConn. I've not had "recent" experience with ASUS, so I'm not sure how it stacks up at this point in time. I know that ALL motherboard manufacturers have had serious problems with Electrolytic Capacitors with values from 4.7 mF to 470 mF because the Chinese mfgs of caps cut them off with a high speed saw that leaves metal dust in the capacitor layers. The caps soon fail after burn-in. The caps should be trimmed during mfg with either a laser or water jet saw, rather than with a mechanical saw. BIOS is the second biggest problem. Many motherboard mfgs want to quit making the BIOS code a mandatory part of the design process. This would be OK with me if the OSS community had their own version of BIOS and the supporting tools to make it easy for us to develop our "own" BIOS for ANY mfgs motherboard. But since this is not likely to happen, FoxConn gets my vote for "Best of Breed" BIOS.

Arthur
Old 27th July 2006, 11:32 AM
rick3878894 Offline

Thank you guys, thats good info and thank you Arthur for such detailed inforamtion.

Tags
board, brands, mother