Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd July 2006, 02:18 AM
kombucha Offline

Yum without an active internet connection

Using Fedora Core 5: I tried to install wvdial using the rpm command but I got a bunch of dependency errors so I tried using the yum command and got the following error: "Cannot find a baseurl for repo: core". I googled it and the error seemed common enough, and everyone that posted a solution or a follow-up question asked, "And you have an active internet connection, right?" Well, I don't. That is why I'm trying to install wvdial. KPPP crashes while initializing the modem and dialing up with the CLI dials but does not get me online, likely because of a setting somewhere I don't know how to deal with (the tech support guy I'm dealing with is urging me to use wvdial and save the CLI method for advanced users, I being a linux n00b and all). I have all 5 fedora install disks; is there a chance all of these dependencies are on the disk and I can make yum query them as opposed to an online source? Or do I have any other options? The three dependency issues I jotted down were QDBM, XPLC and OpenSLP, and it seems like every time I manually download things like this each has a handful of dependency problems of its own and it branches out into an impossible mess. Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2006, 03:03 AM
shams Offline

wvdial is included in the fedora core default installed packages, first check with:
whereis wvdial
if is installed you will get:
/usr/bin/wvdial
if not wvdial with it is all dependencies are included in the fedora core 5 cd's, you can copy the wvdial wiht it's all depnedencies to the hard disk then install with rpm:
rpm -ivh wvdial.rpm depend..rpm depned.rpm depend.rpm
or other way is to make a local repo from fedora core cd's then run the yum to install the wvdial with it's dependencies, you don't need to be online, or copy all the cd's to your hard disk and use the smart package manager to install the wvdial offline, visit this link for the help of above procedures.

Tags
active, connection, internet, yum