Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th April 2017, 05:00 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: Long, long Fedora boot (stopwatch Fedorathon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topiwala View Post
Then i think other way is to name one of the fedora entries as Windows Boot Manager. and make it default.
That makes no sense to me as he (apparently) has no Windows installed. His problem seems to be that he keeps repeatedly booting from the BOOTX64.EFI shim which spawns a new "Fedora" entry instead of from any of the existing "Fedora" entries.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:06 PM
Vareg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
That makes no sense to me as he (apparently) has no Windows installed. His problem seems to be that he keeps repeatedly booting from the BOOTX64.EFI shim which spawns a new "Fedora" entry instead of from any of the existing "Fedora" entries.
Yes, PabloTwo, you're totally right, I have been having no Windows whatsoever for years on the discussed comp (the one I'm using now anyway) and in any case I have just run $ sudo blkid | grep ntfs and it returns strictly nothing...

As for your idea Topiwala to rename the boot file same style as Windows, well I'm not denying it could work but I've got a funny feeling about it though.
https://google.com/+RolandCLEMENCEAU
Old 19th April 2017, 12:40 AM
gordon64 Offline

linuxfirefox

then as a suggestion to avoid all this non-intuitive junk, when F26 comes out
use the partition tool to delete the UEFI partition and create nice easy MBR style partitions.

FWIW I have a 1TB drive with 4 primary partitiions
first partition has a debian distro on it....it get replaced when F26 out
second is my swap
third is F25
fourth is my data, I keep very little in home and make backups of data at my own whim

I backup my system partitions initially to the data partition using an image system by "fsarchiver"
Old 19th April 2017, 03:28 AM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Every Laptop brand ha different implementation of UEFI. AFAIK HP has hardwired to make bootmgfw as default EFI from Microsofts partition. And even among HP laptops Different types have different implementation. When i was trying to install REFIND i renamed shim to the corresponding file and placed it there with other required files. It has been a long time so i cannot give you step by step recall.

Tags
boot, fedora, fedorathon, long, stopwatch