Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th April 2017, 11:33 PM
wolfv Offline

linuxfedorachrome
keyboard & mouse freeze every 2 to 20 days.

Please give me some advice on what to do about my keyboard & mouse freezing.
My USB keyboard & mouse are unresponsive every 2 to 20 days, resolved by rebooting.
This has been an ongoing problem on my system since Fedora 22.

Operating system: Fedora 25, Linux kernel 4.8, Gnome 3.22.2
Hardware: Haswell Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK, Intel Core i5-4250U CPU @ 1.30GHz × 4, 7.7 GiB, HD Graphics 5000
(NUC is a mini-PC with laptop hardware inside)

This is how the last 3 freezes look in the journal:

Code:
    $ journalctl --since "2017-03-27 17:30:00" --until "2017-03-27 19:15:00" --no-pager
    Mar 27 19:12:08 localhost.localdomain mtp-probe[26191]: bus: 2, device: 6 was not an MTP device
    -- Reboot --
    Mar 27 19:13:22 localhost.localdomain systemd-journald[188]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/) is 8.0M, max 394.0M, 386.0M free.

$ journalctl --since "2017-03-29 12:49:00" --until "2017-03-29 13:10:00" --no-pager
    Mar 29 12:50:46 localhost.localdomain kernel: RIP  [<ffffffffb322fd50>] kmem_cache_alloc+0x80/0x1b0
    -- Reboot --
    Mar 29 13:04:01 localhost.localdomain systemd-journald[188]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/) is 8.0M, max 394.0M, 386.0M free.

$ journalctl --since "2017-04-09 22:50:00" --until "2017-04-09 23:05:00" --no-pager
    Apr 09 23:00:00 localhost.localdomain org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1857]: Key repeat discarded, Wayland compositor doesn't seem to be processing events fast enough!
    -- Reboot --
    Apr 09 23:00:29 localhost.localdomain systemd-journald[204]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/) is 8.0M, max 393.9M, 385.9M free.
Are any other Fedora-NUC users having a similar problem?
What can I do to fix the freezing problem?

Thank you.

Last edited by wolfv; 11th April 2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11th April 2017, 12:22 AM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: keyboard & mouse freeze every 2 to 20 days.

I have different, but similar hardware, with Intel CPU and Intel HD Graphics 530 and am running F25 Gnome. I've experienced 3 hard freezes, on average once every 2 weeks. I suspect it is the Intel graphics driver. "man intel" has some info on customizing the Xorg driver, which may still work under Wayland - there are options for turning acceleration on/off, specifying s particular acceleration method, and printing debugging info. I have not pursued any of that, and don't think I will for now - all my system hangs have been at a convenient time (mostly when logged out), and I haven't lost any data.
Old 11th April 2017, 04:28 AM
wolfv Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Thanks dswaner.

The following links are relevant.

All the NUC graphic drivers are for Windows:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...-Kit-D54250WYK > graphic

Intel has opened their graphic drivers to Linux developers:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/blogs/k...graphics-linux
Fedora, and other traditional Linux client distributions, release complete stack updates on a regular schedule ...
End users can update their graphics drivers in these OSes, but doing so requires intimate knowledge of the entire software stack.

"intel" is an Xorg driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets.
"man intel" describes options to customize the Xorg driver, but I wouldn't know which ones to use.
Some suggestions for editing the Xorg configuration file are found on:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...h_intel_driver

So I will try the suggestions from the above archlinux wiki link.
And if that doesn't work, I will buy a PC from RedHat's or Ubuntu's supported list.
Old 11th April 2017, 04:29 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Are you sure rebooting is necessary? Try unplugging and replugging the usb cables for the mouse and keyboard as a workaround.
I occasionally have my keyboard/mouse ignored after a suspend cycle or when my PC has been on the SSDM login display a long time
Old 11th April 2017, 12:00 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The Intel driver being the cause is just a guess. gnome-shell is also crashing on me about once a week (bug reported) - also usually when I log out. I'm also experiencing anomalies with the monitor wake-up sequence - the lock screen background appears sometimes, sometimes not (bug reported). It might all be related. For me, just minor annoyances - perhaps difficult for the developers to pin down the cause.
Old 11th April 2017, 01:33 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

wolfv:
If you need a more stable, less buggy desktop, have you considered a distribution like CentOS or Scientific Linux, which have long term support, over years. Fedora is always introducing new stuff, and is always going to be a little shaky, regardless of hardware.

marko:
I'm sure you're correct, but for me it is easier to hit the power button, instead of moving my computer desk, and printer credenza, and crawling around on the floor searching for cable connections on the back of my PC, and then moving
everything back.
Old 11th April 2017, 05:46 PM
wolfv Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Are you sure rebooting is necessary? Try unplugging and replugging the usb cables for the mouse and keyboard as a workaround.
I occasionally have my keyboard/mouse ignored after a suspend cycle or when my PC has been on the SSDM login display a long time
I tried replugging the keyboard and mouse but it didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswaner View Post
wolfv:
If you need a more stable, less buggy desktop, have you considered a distribution like CentOS or Scientific Linux, which have long term support, over years. Fedora is always introducing new stuff, and is always going to be a little shaky, regardless of hardware.
If the graphics driver for Intel HD 5000 is the problem, replacing Fedora with CentOS or Ubuntu would not help because they all use the same Linux kernel and graphics driver. Is that right?
Old 11th April 2017, 06:06 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The drivers (and other software) are always being tweaked and extended, and Fedora has the most current. It is my understanding that in a stable, long term support version of a distribution like CentOS, the driver would essentially be an older version of the Fedora driver. Similarly with other software. It would be a version which has proved to be mostly bug free - it would not contain the latest bells and whistles, and may not work with the latest hardware. But it would be stable, and not constantly mutating like the Fedora version. And the CentOS kernel would have security fixes, but not enhancements for new hardware or new features. That's my less-than-expert undertanding.
Old 11th April 2017, 06:54 PM
wolfv Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswaner View Post
The drivers (and other software) are always being tweaked and extended, and Fedora has the most current. It is my understanding that in a stable, long term support version of a distribution like CentOS, the driver would essentially be an older version of the Fedora driver. Similarly with other software. It would be a version which has proved to be mostly bug free - it would not contain the latest bells and whistles, and may not work with the latest hardware. But it would be stable, and not constantly mutating like the Fedora version. And the CentOS kernel would have security fixes, but not enhancements for new hardware or new features. That's my less-than-expert undertanding.
Thanks for the explanation.
CentOS 7 is based on Fedora 20, which came out about the same time as HD 5000 graphics. So CentOS 7 may not be ready for HD5000.
I will replace Fedora with CentOS 8 when it is released. I can live with a few freezes for one or two more years.

Last edited by wolfv; 12th April 2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12th April 2017, 12:54 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

I am experiencing similar from time to time, and I have found out that replugging mouse/keyboard into a different USB hub (not just different port same hub) or suspend/resume cycle fixes the issue. I have mouse and keyboard plugged into a different hubs now, and this causes only one to freeze. Don't remember which one, though. I did not exclude the possibility of faulty hardware yet, but if more people are experiencing this, then it might be something else.
Old 12th April 2017, 01:15 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

what make are the affected mouse and keyboard? I've only ever experienced this freeze with a corded USB MS mouse on resume from standby, doesn't matter which port it is attached to either or whether it's an AMD or Intel chipset involved. Logitech and generic rodents just work...
Old 12th April 2017, 03:22 AM
wolfv Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by srakitnican View Post
I am experiencing similar from time to time, and I have found out that replugging mouse/keyboard into a different USB hub (not just different port same hub) or suspend/resume cycle fixes the issue.
The keyboard and mouse are plugged directly into the PC. I will turn off suspend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
what make are the affected mouse and keyboard? I've only ever experienced this freeze with a corded USB MS mouse on resume from standby, doesn't matter which port it is attached to either or whether it's an AMD or Intel chipset involved. Logitech and generic rodents just work...
I am using a Comfort keyboard and Insignia mouse. I will try a different keyboard and mouse. Both are corded.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:08 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Just some generic peripherals. This freeze I am experiencing happens randomly, and it doesn't seems to have any pattern. There is nothing useful in logs. Devices seems to be re-detected when replugged into same hub, but doesn't work.

Quote:
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 018: ID 15d9:0a4d Trust International B.V. Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Tags
days, freeze, freezes, keyboard, mouse, nuc