Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th October 2012, 10:10 PM
davidaarongrove Offline

linuxfirefox
Basic Fedora help!

I am a recent Fedora convert coming from Ubuntu. I can manage to get around Fedora with no problems, but there are still a few things erking me...

On Ubuntu to update and upgrade in the terminal, which I prefer I would type in these commands:
sudo apt-get update (to update the repos)
sudo apt-get upgrade (to upgrade software installed on the computer)
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (to upgrade the distro and kernel)
sudo apt-get auto-clean && sudo apt-get clean (to clean up the pc)

What is the Fedora equivalent to these? I know:
su - (to get to root)
yum update (to update)
yum upgrade (to upgrade)

or are these wrong?
Old 26th October 2012, 10:33 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Basic Fedora help!

Think that third one would be "yum preupgrade"... which updates to the next release.
Old 26th October 2012, 10:43 PM
solo2101 Offline

linuxchrome

you are correct
#yum update ---will update everything
#yum update program --- will update the specified program

you will find more help here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...mando_yum.html
Old 26th October 2012, 11:52 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaarongrove View Post
yum update (to update)
yum upgrade (to upgrade)

or are these wrong?
Nope! upgrade in yum has a very different meaning apt-get. You can get complete information from the man page. But, let me quote the relevant section for convenience.

Quote:
upgrade
Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes flag set. See update for more details.
Now for the "update" section,

Quote:
update

If run without any packages, update will update every currently installed package. If one or more packages or package globs are specified,
Yum will only update the listed packages. While updating packages, yum will ensure that all dependencies are satisfied. (See Specifying
package names for more information) If the packages or globs specified match to packages which are not currently installed then update will
not install them. update operates on groups, files, provides and filelists just like the "install" command.

If the main obsoletes configure option is true (default) or the --obsoletes flag is present yum will include package obsoletes in its calcu‐
lations - this makes it better for distro-version changes, for example: upgrading from somelinux 8.0 to somelinux 9.

Note that "update" works on installed packages first, and only if there are no matches does it look for available packages. The difference
is most noticeable when you do "update foo-1-2" which will act exactly as "update foo" if foo-1-2 is installed. You can use the "update-to"
if you'd prefer that nothing happen in the above case.
If you want to upgrade from one release to another, you can use yum or preupgrade.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading
Old 27th October 2012, 07:45 PM
davidaarongrove Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the help! But I was reading that "preupgrade" will not be avalible or ever will be to upgrade from 17 to 18. A new tool will be avalible for that... Anyone know what that will be? Just curious...
Old 27th October 2012, 08:10 PM
fibster Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaarongrove View Post
I am a recent Fedora convert coming from Ubuntu. I can manage to get around Fedora with no problems, but there are still a few things erking me...

On Ubuntu to update and upgrade in the terminal, which I prefer I would type in these commands:
sudo apt-get update (to update the repos)
sudo apt-get upgrade (to upgrade software installed on the computer)
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (to upgrade the distro and kernel)
sudo apt-get auto-clean && sudo apt-get clean (to clean up the pc)

What is the Fedora equivalent to these? I know:
su - (to get to root)
yum update (to update)
yum upgrade (to upgrade)

or are these wrong?
Im easily wrong here, but i assumed ubuntu recommended fresh installs to upgrades? Anyway I always do fresh installs on my root partitions.

Proud User of Fedora @ Gnome since Core 1>
Registered Linux user 412420
Old 27th October 2012, 08:47 PM
davidaarongrove Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibster View Post
Im easily wrong here, but i assumed ubuntu recommended fresh installs to upgrades? Anyway I always do fresh installs on my root partitions.
They do... but my computer has one IDE cable, that used to go to my CD drive. It had a SATA HDD, but it went kaput, so I am using an old PATA Hard Drive and I am using the IDE cable to hook it up, so my CD Drive has no cable right now, it was easier for me to just upgrade than to do a fresh install off of an SD Card which half the time my Card Reader does not work. I know that SATA Hard Drives are really not that expensive, especially if I get them used, but I am a cheepie.

Tags
basic, fedora