Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:20 PM
mrhadian Offline

linuxfirefox
Samsung SCX-4623FH driver

i installed Fedora 18 (32 bit) and want to install a Samsung SCX-4623FH device (printer, scanner, fax).
fedora does not have its driver in its database. i downloaded the unified driver from samsung and install it. the scanner works fine but the printer get the error message:"/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl failed".
it should be noted that the device is recognized and works well in ubuntu without any need to install this driver. the only related thread i found on the web is http://www.fedoraforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23095 which is related to F17 and there is no solution for this problem in this thread.
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:54 PM
tho.mei Offline

Location: St. Gallen Switzerland or Christchurch, New Zealand
windows_7ie
Re: Samsung SCX-4623FH driver

Hallo
the Unified Linux Driver form Samsung should work.

Samsung writes: (See: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...00/XAA#drivers)
Quote:
1.Make sure that you connect your machine to your computer. Turn both the computer and the machine on.

2.When the Administrator Login window appears, type in root in the Login field and enter the system password.

3.Download and extract the driver [root@localhost root]#tar xzf [Downloaded File Name(XXXX.tar.gz)]

4.The driver will be extracted as ''cdroot'' folder in current path.

5.Execute installation program. [root@localhost root]#./cdroot/autorun

6.When the welcome screen appears, click ''Next'' and proceed installation. [Ubuntu OS Installation]1. Download and extract the driver 2. Open ''Root Terminal'' 3. Execute installation program. $ sudo cdroot/autorun

4. After install, PPD path is set again. $ sudo ln -s /usr/share/cups/model/samsung /usr/share/ppd/custom/samsung5. Execute Configurator, and Add your printer model name by Add Printer.
You can donwload the driver form: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...er_1.01.tar.gz
Using LINUX to do some scientific 3D-stuff.
I'm RHCT
Old 22nd January 2013, 03:22 PM
mrhadian Offline

linuxfirefox

this is exactly what i did. even i copied the related ppd file to another folder and used it as the driver but nothing changed. i think the problem is related to /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl file.
Old 11th February 2013, 09:54 PM
drpanadol Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi Mrhadian,

This has been an issue for the past three/four releases of Fedora with most Samsung Printers. The universal print drivers from Samsung hasn't really worked at all in recent memory. The solution is to disable SELinux (or at least set it to permissive) and installing the printer via the Printers menu in System Settings.

I can only confirm this working for my SCX-4300.

User whych first identified this.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...60#post1484560

Tags
driver, samsung, scx4623fh