Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2013, 04:52 PM
espresso Offline

linuxfirefox
Booting to rescue mode

I'm trying to recover the grub2 boot loader, using these instructions. Problem is I can't get into rescue mode. At the boot prompt, I get the message

Code:
Could not find kernel image: linux rescue
The boot prompt doesn't remain long, it returns to the menu after ten seconds or so. How do I get into rescue mode? I'm using the Fedora 18 i686 Live DVD.
Old 17th July 2013, 05:01 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Booting to rescue mode

What exactly are you trying to do?

The Fedora 18 LiveCD doesn't really need a "rescue" mode, because it can boot a "Live" operating system ;-)

The Fedora 18 installation DVD however might still have a "rescue" option if you boot it in BIOS compatibility mode.
Old 17th July 2013, 05:23 PM
espresso Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
What exactly are you trying to do?
I'm trying to rreinstall grub2.

Quote:
The Fedora 18 LiveCD doesn't really need a "rescue" mode, because it can boot a "Live" operating system ;-)

The Fedora 18 installation DVD however might still have a "rescue" option if you boot it in BIOS compatibility mode.
Reading the article again the installation DVD is mentioned, not the Live DVD. Any way to recover grub with the Live disk?
Old 17th July 2013, 06:07 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Sure, just boot the LiveCD into a "Live" operating system, open a terminal and type "su -" to become root (no password required), mount your HDD with the installed operating system and chroot.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:22 PM
espresso Offline

linuxfirefox

I can't get either to work. The live CD mounts an empty file system (directory tree with no files). Running grub2-install on the DVD it seems to detect an ext2 file system on the boot partition, which is actually ext4. The process fails.Is there a switch to designate the file system?

Tags
booting, mode, rescue