Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:24 PM
kumars Offline

windows_vistaopera
Question Installation DVD from iso file won't boot

i have Fedora-11-x86_64-DVD iso image file and i tried to install after burning it into dvd but it is not
booting from the disk??
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:40 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Is the system bios set to boot from CD / DVD ? Also, is your system 64 Bit ? You have the 64 Bit DVD. Have you made a backup of important data? Have you decided where to install Fedora (what partition) ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:40 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Would you explain how you burned it to a disk? Sometimes, people just do a straight copy of the iso file, which isn't what you want to do. What disk burning software did you use?

Also, in an effort to get you some better answers, I've changed the title of the thread to indicate the actual problem, as well as moved it to installation. (Don't worry, this stuff takes practice.)

The title as it is, is very vague so a lot of people who might be able to help might not even look at the thread.

And Glenn, what are you doing up so early?

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon

Last edited by scottro; 3rd October 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 4th October 2009, 06:52 PM
shadders Offline

windows_vistaie
Yep, i have done that - burnt the ISO file rather than set the software to burn the ISO image.

This is an obscure process when using the software tools for windows - in that it seems not to be a popular process when considering how many people burn music or video. I used Roxio Easy Media Creator and it has very little help on burning ISO images.

What i have also found is that do not let the software select the speed of burning for you. Always check the blank disk speed - and set the burn rate to the same speed as the blank disk. Have wasted a few disks by allowing the software to choose the Drive maximum speed which then burns with errors since the disk speed is lower.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Shadders.

Tags
boot, dvd, file, installation, iso