Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th March 2017, 11:08 PM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Weird black flashes in Fedora 25

After I upgraded from Fedora 23 to Fedora 25, I've experienced weird black flashes. This means that every once in a while, the whole screen goes black for about 1/10 of a second, which is enough for me to notice, and then resumes normal. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this. Sometimes it happens several times per minute, sometimes I can go for an hour or more without these flashes. It must have something to do with the upgrade, I had not seen this on Fedora 23.
It cannot be a hardware problem. I didn't change anything in the hardware, only in the software.
It happens mostly with Firefox, especially when I scroll the page. I am aware Firefox is not a Fedora or Gnome product but instead a project of its own, but I thought it'd be useful to mention this anyway.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Last edited by palaste; 20th March 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:48 PM
bobx001 Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Weird black flashes in Fedora 25

I have witnessed this before with my NVIDIA card, using the default the nouveau driver.
I've even seen snapshots of previous screens from minutes ago ! lol

As soon as I changed to the nvidia drivers (from rpmfusion.org are easiest to install), then it all worked normally again.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:47 AM
kldixon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I notice black boundary flashes when resizing non-Gnome application windows, e.g. Firefox and Google Earth. This only happens on Wayland, not on Xorg.
I have also noticed brief black flashes when viewing html5 video clips with Firefox from the BBC news site.
I also have an nvidia card and use nouveau but the issue is not sufficiently irritating to warrant installing the nvidia drivers and I also continue to use Wayland.
Old 26th March 2017, 12:50 PM
palaste Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
I have witnessed this before with my NVIDIA card, using the default the nouveau driver.
I've even seen snapshots of previous screens from minutes ago ! lol

As soon as I changed to the nvidia drivers (from rpmfusion.org are easiest to install), then it all worked normally again.
How do I find and install these drivers?

Tags
black, fedora, flashes, weird